Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

What should the Packers do about Brett?
Welcome him back as the QB 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Release him and let him play somewhere else 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Trade him 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
Let him come back and sit on the bench 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Other 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Brett Favre Poll
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Brett Favre Poll
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:31 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
I vote to trade him...at least the Pack will get something in return with a trade. Other choices don't seem to bring anything back to the team.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:03 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Letting him come back and sit on the bench would just be a distraction to the team and Rogers. He would always see him looking over his shoulder. Trading him would gain something for the team. Holding him to his contract would be my choice, he made his decision now live with it just like the rest of us in this world would have to. I can just picture the reaction I would have gotten if after a few months of being retired I had told them I changed my mind (after they had a replacement) and wanted my old job back. Would have been lucky to get past the front door before they started laughing and pointed to the exit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:12 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Hmm, maybe Dr. Phil should intervene. He seems to like being on the scene for struggling celebs. Actually, I think that would probably be a good idea for Favre.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:26 pm 

I respect all above mentioned views, but I would prefer the Packers welcome Favre back as the starter and trade Rodgers.
Based on stats alone, Favre took an offense people thought would stink last year within one game of the Super Bowl. He's never missed a game and, above all, he's a proven winner.
Not to discredit Rodgers, but he played in two pro games, that I can recall, and was injured both times.
Put emotions aside and consider which player gives the Packers the best shot at winning the Super Bowl this year. I think the answer is pretty clear.
The Packers drafted two very capable quarterbacks in this year's draft, and Rodgers probably could be a starting quarterback on another team. Regardless of tearful retirements and saving face, I want to see the Packers win the Super Bowl. I haven't heard it mentioned, but I can't believe anyone would pick a glorified rookie over Favre to make that happen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:10 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
I understand people's thoughts about "lets just win this year" but I disagree with that line of reasoning on pretty much everything.

I'm going off topic (and on a personal rant) a bit but I think that's a big part of our economic, social, etc. problem. Everyone just worries about "now". Hey, doing this is the best thing right now, or will be fun right now, etc. A lot of these people are the ones living paycheck to paycheck but they've got a new car, huge house and big screen tv, etc... Look a little more long term and your decisions often change.

Back on topic, the Packers are a pretty young team. No one thought they could do anything and they proved they've got a lot of talent. Toss in the new QB now, figure out your system around someone young and we have a shot not just this year, but the year after and the year after that, and after that, etc. The players want to stay longer because hey, they're winning...

Now look the other way, Brett plays one or two more years, we probably make the playoffs for one of them. The new players all get built up in his style of play. Brett doesn't play as well each year and struggles in key situations (like the cold). When he finally retires half the team we've just built up walks because they're all experienced and proven now and can go play with some other quarterback that is experienced and proven and get paid twice as much to do it...

I'm not saying this is how it would work, but please look a little more long term than, lets get there this year...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:27 am 

I agree teams (as well as society) shouldn't rob Peter to pay Paul. One could easily see disposing of Rodgers, perhaps prematurely, to please and bring Favre back as such a move.
However, bringing back a quarterback who is a proven winner while releasing a guy who appears might be injury prone, I feel, is a wise business decision. I look at the Jeff Tedford pedigree Rodgers was groomed into the NFL through including Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, Harrington and Boller, and I can't help but be a little concerned about the Packers short and long-term plans.
According to Rodger's recent comment concerning Packer fans, I should either get on board, or shut my mouth. Well, I have too many reservations about betting the house on an unproven rookie to take his advice.
While the verdict is still out on Rodgers, I'm very much looking forward to seeing Louisville standout quarterback Brian Brohm emerge as the next great Packer quarterback - this is the guy Steve Young called the best prospect in the recently held draft.
I would prefer seeing the Packers bring back Favre, trade Rodgers for a third or fourth round pick and begin grooming Brohm as the replacement for when Favre decides to again retire sometime within the next decade.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:47 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Family / Friends
I say let him be the starter again for one year and thats it. Packers do not want to release Favre because the Vikings are already licking there chops for him to be released. If we trade Favre it would have to be a AFC team. We do not want to play against him in the nfc.

If anyone is a Bears, Vikings, Lions, or a Packers fan you are more then welcome to talk football at www.nfcnorth.org . :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:30 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
After seeing his interview, my impression is of a kid throwing a temper tantram because he can't get his way. My feeling is that he has decided he is a legend and needs to be treated as such. Perhaps the packers gave him his way all the time the past few years and now he feels they are supposed to bow to him and do just what he wants. He played games with us and the team for three years, doing his I don't know if I will retire routine and enough is enough. He made a decision now live with it ! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:26 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
In the portion of the interview I saw I kept thinking..."what a jerk". Then I remembered in a previous post where I expressed my 'love' for him. Now I'm doing some flipping and flopping myself!!!

Right now I love him less because of the jerk I'm seeing. But I could change my mind again tomorrow...but at least with me nobody cares.

He's brought on this ugly situation himself...a situation where nobody will come out a winner, everyone will come out a stinker. I think everyone involved...the jerk, the fans, the team...everyone will feel the ugliness of this.

So much for the fairy tale ending to the Packer/Favre era.

Hey, it's only a game...what am I getting so agitated about?

p.s. I wish I could change my vote from Trade to Sit Him On The Bench...without a helmet. Now where's my Birra Moretti (a great import from Italy), I'm thirsty!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:39 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
I voted to bring him back & bench him.

The whole controversy is Favre's strategy to drum up free publicity for the new name for his restaurant. The Brett Favre Steak House will be changing its name to the Brett Favre Waffle House!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:41 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Past Resident
Trade Farve...

Fire McCarthy (or who every makes the decisions on player/roster) and hire Kerry Tobin.

You trade Farve you will get a quit a bit for him I think. Some one will want him just for the boost he will give their attendance if no other reason.

Oh ya, and I think Kmartel is having love/hate issues.... maybe he needs the Dr. Phil secession. Just kidding Ken...!! You seem to be enjoying your retirement... good for you. I'm hanging it up 31st of December myself. Opps... sorry, that is off schmopic (sp?).