Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Evading the gas prices
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:43 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: My Hometown
The insanity of skyrocketing gas prices has gotten alot of attention recently. I'm very lucky to be in st. paul, i found a station for 2.79 yesterday.

I've been investigating how to get more mileage out of my car, and one thing thats popped up in articles is the tornado air intake, that runs for like 70 bucks and is supposed to change the way air flows in your car's engine to make it more efficient....does anybody have any experience with these, and are they worth the money? I've been reading conflicting reviews, wondered if any real people know whats up with them.

<small>[ September 04, 2005, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: JayOMF ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:16 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
I don't know about the tornado but I've talked to someone who put a K&N intake and filter and he said it added 1-2 mpg.

Realistically, I think the best that things you can do are the simple ones.

1. Make sure your tires are properly inflated.
2. Get a tune-up.
3. Don't drive if you don't have to.
4. Take everything you can out of your car (reduce weight).
5. Use the gas and the brake as little as possible.
6. Use cruise whenever possible (steady speed).
7. Use your air conditioning when driving over about 50 (more efficient at that speed than the drag from having your windows down).

I recently bought a second vehicle that is partly intended to be something fun to keep (it's an older convertible). However, part of my hurry to get it running well is that it is supposed to be able to get 50+ miles to the gallon v.s. the 18 my SUV gets...

I also am planning to buy a hybrid when the time to sell my truck comes. My personal hope is that Jeep will release a hybrid Grand Cherokee that uses their 6 cyl engine. They would need to add features like cylinder deactivation to the 6 but the increased mileage would make it my ideal vehicle.

Hybrid choices include.
06 Honda Civic (totally new design, better highway mileage than the Prius)
Older Civic hybrid.
Toyota Prius.
Honda Accord
Ford Escape (and Mercury variant)
Toyota Highlander (my top pick at the moment, 4x4 and 30 MPG).
Honda Insight
Lexus RX 400h (SUV)
GM claims to have a Silverado that is a hybrid but from what I've read I don't think it really counts and you can only get it in certain places.

Hybrids on the way...
Chevy Malibu 2007
Nissan Altima 2006
Toyota Camry 2007
Lexus GS 2006
Chevy Tahoe 2007
Dodge Durango 2007
GMC Yukon 2007
Porsch Cayenne 2008
Saturn VUE 2006
Toyota Sienna Minivan 2007
Dodge Ram 2006

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:37 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
Save your money Jay. Those 'amazing' gizmos have been around since at least the sixties. I'm surprised that someone hasn't added magnets to them to more precisely 'align the ions in the gasoline and release all that wasted energy'. That was another pseudo-scientific product claim.
The bottom line is that automakers, with the pressures to develop more efficient engines, would have long ago incorporated those, ahem, technologies had they been legitimate. If there is any good news for me to come out of rising gas prices, it's that it is helping my 'need a Harley again' argument with my lovely wife.

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:14 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

There was a show on the "Speed" channel about gas milage. That 'expert' said by driving 55 on a 65 mph freeway will improve gas milage by 14 per cent. Also this friend of mine who drives a larger Honda motorcycle said the miles he was able to travel on a full tank, he was getting on a half tank by going 45 on the freeway. He said people were flipping him off and yelling obscenities at him for going that slow, but wanted to test the theory. The question is whether or not you want to leave earlier and save, or travel like the the good old days and pay for it. Life if full of choices.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:48 am 
General User
General User

if you're willing to pay the tremendous fine if you get caught, you can take off your muffler and use a broom handle to break out the guts of your catalytic converter. a former employer told me all about it.

Baby, you know if you’re not beautiful /Just cover it up /With make-up kits and perforated scalpel seams,/ We’ll do you right up/ I’m so obsessed with looking like celebrities/ Make myself throw up /But it’s all right cause one day I know I’ll be fine/ like everyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Might help mileage a little but nothing like killing the environment (and the people in the cars behind you).

Those parts are there for a reason.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:25 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

How would mutilating the catalytic converter help mileage? As I understand it just super heats exhaust that has already been exhausted from the engine so to change its chemical composition to a less harmless nature.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A catalytic converter and muffler add resistance to the exhaust. It's the same reason an after-market exhaust that is larger will improve performance. The easier it is for exhaust to get out the more power the engine can create (to a point).

However, it is still a TERRIBLE idea!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:08 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I have reciently traveled some roads in eastern Minn. and the roads where terrible, even their 4 lane highway. I may pay more for gas here in Wisconsin but there is a lot less wear and tear on my vechicals.