Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fall Ride
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:35 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Well The Fall Ride seems to have come and gone without any comments. :( For those who attended, and the locals too, lets have a Fall Ride report. :)

Post subject: Re: Fall Ride
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:02 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Thursday= good ride up great night
Friday=great day, great night
Saturday= well not too many miles lots of bar time
Sunday= it always sucks heading back
overall = GREAT
saw no accidents everyone had a great time!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:24 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

At least 11 people arrested :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
And just to put Aphephilia's comment in perspective...

At the annual Mifflin Street block party in Madison this year there were 400 arrests for 10,000 people. Not to mention, it was all in one day! Last year there were 366, the year before 225 and 190 before that. Also note that attendance has trended downward since 2003...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:42 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Me thinks that 11 arrested out of ~1500 wild and crazy partying bikers over a couple of days isn't too bad. I hope there were no injuries or property damage or serious crimes during the weekend.

I also hope everyone had a great time and I read that the MDA reportedly grossed $200,000. Not too shabby.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:42 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Arrests or increased hang nails reported by bikers, anything that would be a negative regarding the Fall Ride would generate a happy face from aphephilia.

I currently have 2 co-workers that have either attended or have family members that are regular Fall Ride participants. Neither were able to attend this year, both were really going to miss the activities. Also the chance to help out a good cause.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:28 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I hope there were a lot more than ~1500 bikers. Last year there were around 40,000...

Also, one more quick comparison. Ten people were arrested at the Packers/Vikings game. That was only three hours long...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:19 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I'm sure the arrests at the Packer/Viking game were folks that had been at the Fall Ride, why else would they be arrested.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:03 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Good one, Deb!!! You are on such a roll.

Ever think about doing comedy for a living?.. :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:16 am 
Beginner
Beginner

There were more people arrested than 11 over the weekend. I don't know if that number included Thursday since the Fall Ride kicks off then and several were arrested throughout the evening/night.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:55 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: live here
This week I was at the Nokomis Community Park and there was a trailer parked on park property owned by Robert Troutman (aka “Bubba”) the person who leases the park for fall ride weekend for his beer party. On this trailer there was a large sign that threaten the use of gun violence if his property is messed with. I find it extremely offensive to have such a sign in a public park where children play. I feel there is a general lack of class by an individual posting such a sign and the Nokomis Town Board for allowing it.

Last edited by Hugodog on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:24 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

"hugodog" needs to find a better way to spend his time, (perhaps learning how to spell.) There were no pictures of guns, there were no threats of guns anywhere at Bubba's Big Party.

There was a sign on the General Store that said, "Private Property Insured by Smith & Wesson." This is a sign sold in a variety of places... I think I've even seen preprinted versions at Ben Franklin and Wal-Mart, so it is intended as a joke. Only a moron would feel threatened by it.

Unless the guy was actually planning to burgle the place. Was that what bothered you, hugodog? Strange that out of the thousands of folks who enjoyed the Big Party, you're the only one who felt threatened. If you just buy your beer and groceries like everyone else, you won't have anything to worry about.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:13 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

You can post anything you like on private property. A sign threating gun violence has no place on a playground. Also, unless it is self-defense the action he is implying could also be called murder. If there is a problem, law-enforcement needs to handle it, not a vigilante. Non-rednecks use this park for other purposes than consuming alcohol. This is a public park, lets show some class.

Last edited by Hugodog on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:51 am 
Beginner
Beginner

The sign contained no threat of "gun violence" to anyone.
No matter how you slice it, you're still an idiot for thinking it does.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:30 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I would be happy to debate this issue with you, that is what this board is for. There is no need for personal name calling unless you are offended because you feel you fall into a category mentioned in the previous posting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:09 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hugodog, Let me get this straight. You say no need for name calling, but you called Bubba a vigilanty and a red-neck. You seem like the kind of guy that would be very irate over your neighbor putting his garbage out on Tuesday nite when pick-up is Wednesday. Take a chill pill already. Do you know what a draw to the Fall Ride comes with national acts like "Confederate Railroad", "Kentucky Head Hunters", "The Outlaws", "Joan Jett" etc. etc. Give the guy a break, he works his butt off putting together an extravaganza like he does. Besides the coordinating of all the vendors, tents, musical acts, huge campground, interesting events and so on he also offered a motorcycle race at the Speedway. For the 27 years this Ride has been going, there has never been a motorcycle race at this motorcycle rally. It is evident that the Fall Ride is not of interest to you, but "Harley Davidson", the "MDA" and the "local economy" are very interested. Any Chamber of Commerce in the country would give their eye teeth for a chance to bring this kind of money to their town. The national music acts make the ride more appealing for people to attend. Someone ought to thank Bubba for being so involved. Are you just jealous about the money Bubba may make during the ride? How would you like to put out $15,000 speculated money for the main act? Another $15,000 for the main act the second nite and at least another $8,000 for the other 10 bands, Huge rented tents, porta-pottys, dumpsters, Staff, etc. for another who knows how much. Bubba, pay no attention to the small mind, and Thanks, it was a great time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

With all the other signs, shirts, etc. you see every day all over the place that's the one that upsets you? That one is pretty common, along with another like it, "Gun control means hitting your target".

On the other hand, people like the kid that I saw at a McDonald's cutting in line, during lunch, to get a job application while wearing a shirt with four-letter words on it should be slapped up side the head!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:42 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Well said, Catfish!

Hugodog, you said, "This is a public park, lets show some class." Then, let's do.

Firstly, After a review of an actual survey, it was found that the store was located on private property, not in the town park.

Secondly, the original ball diamond complex at Nokomis Town Park was actually donated by none other than Bob "Bubba" Troutman some 15 years ago.

Finally, since that time, Bubba has donated tens of thousands of dollars to the Community Park... and the Town of Nokomis is expecting to announce Troutman's donation for this year on October 1st.

Sounds to me like Mr. Troutman knows how to "show some class" better than anyone whining about something like a simple sign posted for a joke.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:37 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Fall Ride & camping
Well, being my first day here, I sure got an ear ( eye ) full !!!!
First of all, I would like to say that your county there in Tomahawk is abdolutely beautiful ! My husband and I and about 8 other couples have been coming there for a little over 7 years for the Fall ride and camping during the summer over the 4th of July.

This years ride wasn't as pleasent as most.
I want ya'll to know, the my husband NEVER drinks & drives, or "goofs off" on the bike. He is an owner/ operator OTR and his lisence is our bread and butter :)
This year, 500 yards from the Tomahawk exit, we were pulled over for loud exhaust !!! I thought he was going after the mini van that past us like we were standing still..nope...he was after us.
We were told by the state trooper that our exhaust wasn't "factory", there for illegal. I have NEVER heard of such a thing! How can a person custom make a bike? And why during the thunder parade did the state patrol bike have reinhardt pipes?!?!? Factory?? Hmmmm
He issued us the ticket, and to say the least...not a "people person". We actually left the next night after the parade because of all the traffic stops we witnessed, and didn't want to be a two time ticket winner. And that is sad. We spend thousands of dollars for lodging, food, fuel, and clothing and what nots we buy. Not to mention sitter fees once we get home.
Why was this years ride so patroled? I understand that there's always one in the bunch that has to ruin things, but...this year I saw a LOT of traffic stops.
Oh..and I say hats off to Bubba !! He a pretty stand up guy!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:20 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Factory wouldn't be the correct term but there are laws on how loud the pipes can be, a limit MANY owners seem to ignore (not saying you did, just an overall observation).

What the trooper was probably referring too was WI state law (347.39).
Quote:
No person shall modify the exhaust system of any such motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle

The law also has other regulations like not allowing a cutout, etc.

Also note, Tomahawk doesn't have a lot of say in what other departments choose to do. The state patrol has been cracking down on a number of things lately. I believe one of their big targets right now is Drunk Driving. Unless you know what each cyclist was pulled over for it's hard to say what the reason was. I believe they've issued thousands of DUI's above normal in WI lately trying to make a point. I also know Madison is handing out tickets like candy on the Beltline for speeding, they'll go where the problem is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Sorry to hear about your ticket, Dingbat, but if it's any consolation, they weren't targeting only MCs, plenty of four wheelers got nailed too for a variety of reasons.

No doubt they will deny it to high heaven, but one politically safe means of increasing revenue is to increase enforcement of a criminalized but generally harmless activity or circumstance, ostensibly for the common good.

A classic example is the Wisconsin seat belt law. (BTW, I believe in seat belts and it is foolish not to wear them. That has nothing to do with the point I am making.) This law was passed with the stated goal of "protecting the public." However, in the very same session, the very same legislators passed a law extending bar opening from 1:00 a.m. to 2:30 a.m. Now, if you couldn't get drunk enough to kill yourself and several other people by 1:00, this law will assist you in the endeavour by giving you an extra hour and a half to finish the job. Regardless of whether you agree with my last sentence or not, extending te bar closing time certainly makes their concern for public safety suspect.

Another indicator that it is actually a revenue scheme is the fact that each municipality floods their respective jurisdictions with extra officers during events such as the Fall Ride, again ostensibly to ensure public safety, but then occupy their time writing citations for minor infractions, such as non-standard mufflers. After all, the overtime has to be paid for somehow.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're there, but hopefully, you won't feel singled out because you are a biker... they put the touch on everybody.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Live here
I am watching the exchange between Hugodog and everyone else. I don’t know why Hugodog was offended by the sign, nor have I seen the sign. There seems like there is a conflict in values here. Maybe, Hugodog is opposed to guns. It sounds like Robert Troutman posted a sign advocating there use. Both people are entitled to their political views. Since this is public property, this is not the place for either party to express such a view with a posting of a sign. Is far as I know, Hugodog did not post a sign in a public park expressing his views about gun control, abortion, the environment or anything else. The town officials are the responsible party for signage of the taxpayer’s property, which should be neutral, respectful and should not have political overtones.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:52 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

This subject has experienced a great deal more attention than it deserves, so this is likely to be my last post regarding it.

I'll break it down for you again, one last time, so please try to comprehend what you are reading:

1. The sign threatened no use of any type of weapon, it said "insured" and it does not state that any kind of weapon, not a gun, not a knife, not a brick, not a feather pillow, not a socker-bopper air sack, would be used against anyone.

2. The sign was on the General Store which, as stated earlier, was NOT on public property, it was on private property. Therefore, the Town Board had no responsibility of any kind regarding the sign.

3. The sign did not advocate any opinion of any kind regarding gun control, abortion, or dressing pigs in tuxedos.

4. The sign IS covered by free speech which is guaranteed by the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. That right applies in parks, in buildings, on Courthouse steps, anywhere at all as long as it doesn't violate anyone else's rights or create a public disturbance. Since Hugodog was obviously the only moron offended by the mild humor expressed by the sign, and even though it offered no opinions about any subject, it obviously did not cause a disturbance. In fact, the tens of thousands of other folks attending had a wonderful time.

5. If Hugodog, or anyone else, is offended by any of the rights guaranteed by our Constitution and that includes ALL of the rights it promises, he should exercise his other freedom, which is to leave this great country and move to someplace where such freedoms won't offend him.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised by all this uproar over something as dumb as a simple joke on a piece of cardboard, because, as George Carlin pointed out, "The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other going in opposite directions."

Enuff already!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I for one strongly believe there should be pigs dressed in tuxedos at next years fall ride!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:24 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Anything is possible!