Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 'Double standard'
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A Letter to the Editor in the Sept. 23 Tomahawk Leader:

Sept. 11 is the day which we all recall with horror and disbelief, that the Twin Towers in New York and the Pentagon in Arlington, Va., was bombed. Thousands of lives were lost, needlessly, because of terrorists’ hatred for our values and our freedoms.

Today was the unveiling of the Memorial in Arlington, Va., for those who perished in the bombing of 9/11-2001. C-Span on Dish Network gave a beautiful presentation and explanations of the grounds and benches – a tribute to all who perished on that day. President Bush made the dedication of the Memorial to honor those victims of the crime of hate by the terrorists.

I decided to change (surf) the national channels namely CBS, ABC, NBC and PBS to compare their coverage to C-Span on my Dish Network. To my surprise and complete disbelieve, there was absolutely no coverage of this historic event.

This is not my first experience regarding the bias of the national media. I called several of the local TV stations and talked with the program managers and they gave me the same explanation. They have no control over the programming. I expressed my opinion regarding this bias and asked that my comments be shared with those who cared to hear them. I was told by one network that the dedication of the Memorial was televised on the East Coast – but not here. I did indicate to the persons with whom I spoke, that whatever our political affiliation; the speeches by Presidents of both parties should be televised. It should be our prerogative whether or not we wish to listen to them.

Earlier this week, President Bush addressed the nation regarding the troop withdrawal from Iraq. This address was also not televised by the national networks and I’m assuming it is because the news sounded more like good news rather than the bad which the national news media appears to get more delight out of reporting.
I have spoken with several of my friends who only have the national channels to watch. I asked them if they watched the dedication and they said no – they watched TV but the dedication was not televised.

I guess the national channels (ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS) do not believe in free speech unless it comes from their lips. Smells a lot like Communist Russia and other Communistic regimes that suppress free speech and censor what is written.

I wonder how many people are aware of this “double standard?”

Nora Zientkowski
Tomahawk

Post subject: Re: 'Double standard'
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:36 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
Try actually being in Iraq, seeing the news happening right out in front of you, and then that same day, while watching the mainstream media that Brittney/Paris/Lindsey is the lead story in the USA.

Don't even get me started.....

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:27 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
But they weren't wearing panties in public or were loaded/drugged up! Isn't that news? Fox Network said it was!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:21 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Fox news is now threatening us with witholding their signal from the cable company that covers the Fox River Valley. Never mind that they are a "public" station that can be received by a home with an antenna. NBC, CBS, PBS, ABC all provide a public signal & don't feel the need to hold us hostage.

If Fox does stop their signal from cable, I won't mind. There's many more alternatives. Plus I can always listen to the radio for Packer news while I go fishing (doubtful). Or I can wait for the highlights/low lights that will replay through out the week.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:54 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I'm sure that Fox River Valley girl Greta will not allow Fox News to withhold their signal. Non-panty wearing alerts will still be alive and well in the Fox River Valley!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:42 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
The same thing is going on in the Tomahawk area. Fox 55 out of Wausau has been replaced with the fox station out of EauClair. Does a lot of good when you want to catch the local news. :roll:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:43 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Fox 11 is out at Time Warner Cable. Fox 11 gets its frequency for free from the feds. Why should they expect Cable to pay them?

Fox 11 earns its money from the ads placed. Shouldn't their ad clients now ask for a discounted rate since Fox is no longer on "cable" & therefore in significantly fewer households????

I know, I know. Totally different subject stream on a legit topic.
Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:17 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Old Scout is that off DISH Network? You are most likely getting Fox 25/48 which has lame news at best and is actually Eau Claire/LaCrosse. We don't watch it much for news, some nights they concentrate on Minnesota happenings rather than the Chippewa Valley, Coulee Region. I know it's important to be informed, however lately I'd rather just not watch the news.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:32 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Hi Deb, Yes it is off of Dish Network, and is 25/48. Up until the first of the month we received Fox 55 out of Wausau. Now the only thing I watch on fox is the Packer game. As for news, about all that I can stand watching is the weather. Other than that all it is, is politics and I have heard about all of that that I can stand. Just about to the point where I don't care who wins, just so it is over and I don't have to listen to all the BS. :roll:

Seize the Day !