Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:03 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Visited as a child
To all:
I just found this board and thought I would give it a try. As a small child around 1965-ish, my dad took me to a log cabin resort, I believe in the Tomahawk area with a grass airfield. I was wondering if anyone remembers this, or if it is still there. I have fond memories and wish to find any information I can.

Thank you,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:49 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: live here
Yes' it is still here although it has greatly changed in the 40+ years since you visited. It is located about 12 miles east of Tomahawk, off County Highway A on Pickerel Creek Rd.
It was not a resort although it could have appeared so. It was Drott Proving Grounds, where Drott Manufacturing Co. brought customers to demonstrate their equipment. Since 1967 it has been owned by Case Co (JI Case) and is called Case - Tomahawk Customer Center. They do basically the same - demonstrate their construction equipment. There have been a lot of new buildings constructed over the years, the laterst just completed that is a viewing center for their customers. The airfiled has not been used since the early 70's. Trees have grown on the runway.
My knowledge of this is because my grandfather, Ed Drott Sr. founded the company and bought this property in 1928. When you were here, there were several log houses that he built in 1928 - still being used. Additionaly there are 2 newer houses on the property. My wife and I built the last one in 1997 and live here year round.
Hope this helps restore your fond memories.
Terry Schlinkmann

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:38 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Visited as a child
Terry:
Wow! Oh my gosh what a great response. Thank you very much!
Unbelievable that I got a response from a relative of the Drotts and that you actually live there! As I stated I was there and remember the log cabins! Today,I absolutley love log cabins and my dream home for retirement is a log cabin! I believe this is because of my experience in Tomahawk. I would love to go back and see the place again.

I would like to privately email you the entire story... if you wish, you may email me at krl@cebridge.net

Once again, thank you so very much!!
Sincerely,
Kevin L.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:47 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: native 1931-1981
Yes, I lived about 6 miles west of the place and used the airstrip on many occasions. I knew many of the employees at the proving grounds and actually did some work there, pouring concrete in the mid 1950s. Back during WW2 and shortly after there was a deer farm located on the property. I do not know the year the deer farm was disbanded. The buildings you describe are located on the east shore of lake Clara, a spring-fed lake that was so clear when I lived there, you could almost drink the water. Ed Drott, Jr lived in Milwaukee, I believe. His brother-in-law, Harlan Kuehling, hired me on occasion to do some carpenter work on Ed's summer home/cottage. Ed's younger brother John was a good friend of mine...he had a Ski challet half way up the mountain at Snowmass mountain, near Aspen Colordo....you could ski right up to his back door and walk in. If you would like any more info just let me know...I lived there for 50+ years...I'm in Pensacola Florida now. Barry Myers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:05 pm 
    Beginner
    Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Family
    Hello. I remember this Camp quite well. Visited as a child many times. I am from the Wm Drott side of the family and have many momentos and some letters etc. I would like very much to have a Ed Drott family member contact me. I have some momentos and pictures to share.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:49 am 
    Beginner
    Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Drott
    Spambot: No
    I remember visiting the Drott proving grounds, also in the mid-60's. My father, also. a construction equipment inventor, would fly into the airstrip in his Navion. I especially remember the 'disappearing bar', which was operated by hydraulic cylinders and electric pump. It was in the main lodge. At the flip of a switch, it would lower so that the roof of it would be flush with the floor. You can see the outline of the lowered bar in this video (too bad about the music) at time 0:22, under the bearskin rug.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKmRPGx5ex0

Cheers,
    Harry Seaman, Jr.
    hjseaman@earthlink.net