Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:53 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Oh,Oh, Kmart, you may of woke her up. Let the sleeping dog fall asleep. Didn't you hear Jeff say amen? That means the end of the prayer. LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:19 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: planning to move there later this year
Well I am planning to move to Tomahawk around september this year if all goes well. (moving from Texas) I must say from this thread it certainly looks like a lively place!

I'm thinking I might avoid Madison though...lol.
Nice to meet y'all!

Btw, on topic a little...being a smoker I don't necessarily agree with the second-hand smoke thing, but geeez...all anyone really needs to do is have a little respect for others....take it inside your house or car, patio, whatever. Not really necessary to chastise the whole world because they don't agree with ya. If you can't figure that out, perhaps therapy is in order?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:26 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
kkmar,
Exactly.

So are you leaving Texas because GW Bush has returned to the ranch?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:32 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

LOL...
Nah...friends have been trying to get me up there for a couple of years now, and since both of my girls are through with school I decided it was time for a change of pace from the insanity of Houston. My (by then) 20y/o is coming with me.

Of course, the timing with GW's retirement is purely coincidental. Yeah, uh-huh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:35 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
No, no, no, no Kkmar!!!! Now hold on there partner!!!! You can't just ride in here on your Texas stud and jump on this Board sounding like the voice of reason !!! There must be some protocol you're breaking but I can't think of it off hand. I mean, eh, what your saying makes sense and you're taking all the fun out of criticism.

Oh, what the heck...welcome to the Board and welcome to Tomahawk if your plans come true...

btw...all the threads arn't this nutty... :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:42 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Awww man!
You mean I'll have to return to my normal, non-sensical self?? And I was looking for a fresh start...lol.

Thanks for the welcome...I'll be up for a visit to check things out in march. Looking forward to seeing if the town lives up to its rep, and the photos I've seen of it!

And yeah...I've been browsing these boards for a while, since considering this move. This particular thread piqued my interest early on...us darned smokers, you know! lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:49 pm 
General User
General User

kkmar wrote:
Well I am planning to move to Tomahawk around september this year if all goes well. (moving from Texas) I must say from this thread it certainly looks like a lively place!

Nice to meet y'all!

Btw, on topic a little...being a smoker I don't necessarily agree with the second-hand smoke thing, but geeez...all anyone really needs to do is have a little respect for others....take it inside your house or car, patio, whatever. Not really necessary to chastise the whole world because they don't agree with ya. If you can't figure that out, perhaps therapy is in order?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:53 pm 
General User
General User

kkmar wrote:

Nice to meet y'all!

Anti-smokers disrespect others by committing scientific fraud and waging a worldwide Nazi-style campaign of mass media lies and defamations. And don't bother trying to hide in your house, car or patio, because they're busy outlawing it there, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:25 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Well Carol Ann, fortunately for me and my loved ones and friends, I don't have the level of paranoia and frustration that seem to consume you.
Seriously sweetie...the anti-smoking world is not after you. You can go ahead and light up in your house or wherever there are no signs asking you not to. If you live in a city which has smoking bans in place (sorry, not yet familiar with Wi laws), then perhaps you should move to the country somewhere....lots of room up there in the woods, so I'm told. Just have a little respect for the people around you. It really isn't hard.
Like I said before, I don't necessarily agree with the 2nd hand smoke issues completely, but I also am aware that there are some people who are seriously affected by it, with allergies, etc. My grandson is one of them.

Hey, an idea for ya....the town I currently live in does not have a smoking ban...it is currently up to each individual business, and many bars and restaurants still have good old smoking sections! I can send you directions down here if ya want!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:54 pm 
General User
General User

kkmar wrote:
Well Carol Ann, fortunately for me and my loved ones and friends, I don't have the level of paranoia and frustration that seem to consume you.
Seriously sweetie...the anti-smoking world is not after you. You can go ahead and light up in your house or wherever there are no signs asking you not to. If you live in a city which has smoking bans in place (sorry, not yet familiar with Wi laws), then perhaps you should move to the country somewhere....lots of room up there in the woods, so I'm told. Just have a little respect for the people around you. It really isn't hard.
Like I said before, I don't necessarily agree with the 2nd hand smoke issues completely, but I also am aware that there are some people who are seriously affected by it, with allergies, etc. My grandson is one of them.

Hey, an idea for ya....the town I currently live in does not have a smoking ban...it is currently up to each individual business, and many bars and restaurants still have good old smoking sections! I can send you directions down here if ya want!

Your complacency is obviously because you don't follow the news. Don't you know they're trying to get a statewide ban in Texas - and every other state else as well? Don't you realize that their ultimate goal is to outlaw tobacco worldwide and throw people in jail for smoking it?

And all you do is mumble that we should move somewhere else. Get real.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:21 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
WOW! - I have been reading this thread since the start - when you debate a topic - usually you listen to both sides - CarolAnn, you are evidentally only open to your side & no one else. That's fine but when you say get real - I think that should be said to you - you really need to realize that a smoking ban - no matter how widespread or minimal - is going to eventually happen - whether you like it (or agree with it) or not -
so once again - you need to "get real" if you want to smoke do it in your own space, totally up to you, but others do not need to be forced to endure what to you is not a big deal - if it is not a big deal - just do it on your own. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:41 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I just cannot help but chuckle at CarolAnn and her conspiracy issues here!

Carol, while my responses to you are (mostly) given in jest, if the issue truly upsets you that much, and if you are unable to deal with the laws or restrictions set in your own community then perhaps you really should consider finding a place that will offer you a more comfortable lifestyle. Actually, I'm a bit curious as to why talk of a smoking ban in Tomahawk upsets you so much if you live in Madison. After all, you do have the choice NOT to come to Tomahawk, do you not? Just plan your trips to a place where you can fill your lungs to your hearts' content.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:13 pm 
General User
General User

logic1 wrote:
WOW! - I have been reading this thread since the start - when you debate a topic - usually you listen to both sides - CarolAnn, you are evidentally only open to your side & no one else. That's fine but when you say get real - I think that should be said to you - you really need to realize that a smoking ban - no matter how widespread or minimal - is going to eventually happen - whether you like it (or agree with it) or not -
so once again - you need to "get real" if you want to smoke do it in your own space, totally up to you, but others do not need to be forced to endure what to you is not a big deal - if it is not a big deal - just do it on your own. :wink:

It's when you are LISTENING to a debate that you are supposed to listen to both sides. But you think it's a one-way street, where MY side is supposed to pander to YOUR side, while YOUR side doesn't have to listen to mine. This is absolutely typical of the PC nazis we need to overthrow.

And YOU ANTI-SMOKERS are the only ones who are forcing their will on everybody!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:17 pm 
General User
General User

kkmar wrote:
I just cannot help but chuckle at CarolAnn and her conspiracy issues here!

Carol, while my responses to you are (mostly) given in jest, if the issue truly upsets you that much, and if you are unable to deal with the laws or restrictions set in your own community then perhaps you really should consider finding a place that will offer you a more comfortable lifestyle. Actually, I'm a bit curious as to why talk of a smoking ban in Tomahawk upsets you so much if you live in Madison. After all, you do have the choice NOT to come to Tomahawk, do you not? Just plan your trips to a place where you can fill your lungs to your hearts' content.

The people of Tomahawk, like the people everywhere in this totally corrupt country, need more information than they will ever get from the mass media.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:42 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Catfish wrote:
Wow, I mean WOW. This seems to be a perfect example of the saying, "Let sleeping dogs lie." I hope I don't feel another urge to reply on this particular thread. It seems as though the bantering back and forth with CarolAnn doesn't go much further than adding fuel to a fire. I believe when you stop adding fuel to a fire, it eventually goes out.

Catfish, the voice of reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:46 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Ok CarolAnn, it seems obvious that you will never attempt to look at this from any other view than the suspicious one that seems to rule your very existance, but I'll have one more go at this....

The anti-smoking campaign, like any other legal proposal, will never make everyone happy. Then again, even with the most stringent of laws there is someone in the world that disagrees with them...even the ones in place to protect us against violent crime have their opponents in the form of the criminals that they protect us against. We will never live in a world where everyone can be happy. The vast majority of the population accepts that. The smoking bans popping up across this country will never appease everyone either...not just smokers, but many business owners (bars, restaurants, etc) have a large customer base that smokes. I think that the majority of the population would rather have these bans in place because of the perceived health risks associated with second hand smoke. Now, even though I don't necessarily agree with those perceptions, I can accept the bans, as long as no one infringes upon my right to do as I wish in my own home, property or car, etc. I don't believe for a second that tobacco will ever be outlawed...the industry is too huge. Your manner of insistance that it will, as well as your refusal to accept any other opinion on the issue, along with all of your "smoking nazi" and "heil hitler" remarks, only feeds others' impressions of you as a paranoid, unreasonable and unbalanced individual. The way you present your arguments doesn't allow anyone to take your argument seriously. You may want to reconsider how you present yourself on these boards.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:50 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

You're right Catfish...I'll let it go.

(although it was an amusing conversation! lol...*sorry*)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:10 am 
General User
General User

kkmar wrote:
Ok CarolAnn, it seems obvious that you will never attempt to look at this from any other view than the suspicious one that seems to rule your very existance, but I'll have one more go at this....

The anti-smoking campaign, like any other legal proposal, will never make everyone happy. Then again, even with the most stringent of laws there is someone in the world that disagrees with them...even the ones in place to protect us against violent crime have their opponents in the form of the criminals that they protect us against. We will never live in a world where everyone can be happy. The vast majority of the population accepts that. The smoking bans popping up across this country will never appease everyone either...not just smokers, but many business owners (bars, restaurants, etc) have a large customer base that smokes. I think that the majority of the population would rather have these bans in place because of the perceived health risks associated with second hand smoke. Now, even though I don't necessarily agree with those perceptions, I can accept the bans, as long as no one infringes upon my right to do as I wish in my own home, property or car, etc. I don't believe for a second that tobacco will ever be outlawed...the industry is too huge. Your manner of insistance that it will, as well as your refusal to accept any other opinion on the issue, along with all of your "smoking nazi" and "heil hitler" remarks, only feeds others' impressions of you as a paranoid, unreasonable and unbalanced individual. The way you present your arguments doesn't allow anyone to take your argument seriously. You may want to reconsider how you present yourself on these boards.

No intelligent person under conditions of free discussion would ever take those anti-smoker lies upon which those smoking have been based seriously. But that's the catch - the public has never been allowed to hear both sides of the issue. The public has only been allowed to hear the anti-smokers' side, and the anti-smoker-approved version of smokers' side. Smokers have only been allowed to whine about "nannyism" and "it's bad for business" and the like. The public has NOT been allowed to hear the solid evidence that the anti-smokers have committed scientific fraud to falsely blame smoking and secondhand smoke for diseases that they clearly don't cause. The media have deliberately and systematically lied to and deceived the public, in order to FORCE those bans down the public's throat.

And your complete insensitivity to this outrage against democracy is proof that you are not the impartial person you try to pretend to be, but an ANTI-SMOKER, who in the end resorts to your movement's favorite tactics of personal smears. So, despite your denials, even someone with the IQ of a vegetable can see that anti-smokers are Nazis.

Last edited by CarolAnn on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:36 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

. So, despite your denials, even someone with the IQ of a vegetable can see that anti-smokers are Nazis.[/quote]

-------
Proof, positive.
Goodnight CarolAnn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:28 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

My word for this lady is...WOW! Speaking for you Jeff, I believe your word for her would be.........TILT. I'm actually laughing out loud.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:01 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Years from now some Anthropologist, with a Psych minor, will discover this ''Town Hall Meeting on Smoking Band(sic)' thread and have a field day analyzing each and everyone of us. And we know who we are and what our 'contribution' is. There is the main provocateur who put out a trail of outrageous statements, like a trail of bread crumbs, to entice and sucker in the 'well meaning'. The 'well meaning', in good faith, make their arguments only to be ignored time and time again. Soon the 'well meaning' realize they are following this stupid bread crumb trail and switch tactics and lay a bread crumb trail of their own to draw in the original provocateur for a game of 'the bird messing with the cat'...only us birds do it strictly for some nasty evil satisfying harmless fun...but then we soon tire of it and attempt to quit the game altogether.

Anyway, that's kind of how I see it. And I have to say that NOT ONCE did I fall for any of this juvenile foolishness and I knew what I was doing all along....so I won't be included the 'study'.

Dr. Ken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:37 am 
General User
General User

kmartell wrote:
Years from now some Anthropologist, with a Psych minor, will discover this ''Town Hall Meeting on Smoking Band(sic)' thread and have a field day analyzing each and everyone of us. And we know who we are and what our 'contribution' is. There is the main provocateur who put out a trail of outrageous statements, like a trail of bread crumbs, to entice and sucker in the 'well meaning'. The 'well meaning', in good faith, make their arguments only to be ignored time and time again. Soon the 'well meaning' realize they are following this stupid bread crumb trail and switch tactics and lay a bread crumb trail of their own to draw in the original provocateur for a game of 'the bird messing with the cat'...only us birds do it strictly for some nasty evil satisfying harmless fun...but then we soon tire of it and attempt to quit the game altogether.

Anyway, that's kind of how I see it. And I have to say that NOT ONCE did I fall for any of this juvenile foolishness and I knew what I was doing all along....so I won't be included the 'study'.

Dr. Ken

"Well-meaning" people don't sneer off, dismiss and evade a serious and honest message, nor do they personally smear the person presenting it. You Nazis.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tie to Tomahawk: The Tomahawk Leader
I've watched this discussion go back and forth. I'm willing to leave the thread open so an INTELLIGENT conversation can occur about a valid and important topic but it appears to be deteriorating to name calling and snide remarks.

Either stop the name calling, IQ references, etc. and actually try to make a valid, well reasoned point or take the discussion somewhere else.

The Webmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:19 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Webmaster, respectfully speaking, I urge you to consider where this thread went awry. Although it really wouldn't matter if you closed this particular thread because we all know how tired it is. Looking back at the whole thread we have a newcomer come aboard calling us all "worthless charlatans". She then tells our regular contributer 'kmartell' he is a slimy mouth. After her comment to him he comes back and says, "why can't we all just get along". She responds by saying he is a caveman and more likely a Nazi, following with "Heil Hitler, Seig Heil". Then starts up on another newcomer, saying he has an IQ of a vegetable and also a Nazi, then further calls us all Nazis. As you know, with our regular contributers we have always had intelligent debates without this type of hostility. I hope you allow this reply to be posted for all concerned to see, but also hope you will use your executive authority to ban the wrongdoer rather than penalizing us civil contributers. She is obviously too hostile to our boards and should be banned. She is clearly bending our code of conduct. Thank you for allowing me to contribute my two cents worth on this issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tie to Tomahawk: The Tomahawk Leader
No one is being banned, and while some of the problems were one sided, it was also a two way street.

Basically, just asking everyone to play nice...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next