Summer Was Eons Ago!

Forum for discussions about Tomahawk and the Northwoods.
Jeff Boettcher
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: vacation

Summer Was Eons Ago!

Postby Jeff Boettcher » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:33 pm

Any one else tired of getting battered by sub-zero temps & wind chills? What's your favorite memory of last Summer? Perhaps warm thoughts & a good beer can get us through the remnants of the winter.

Our family was vactioning on Lake Alice for a week in August. The high winds made canoe travel "interesting" for most of the week. But the family time, the loons, the smallmouth bass, the calms between the winds, lunch with Old Scout at the Pine Tree, and just chillin' in Tomahawk made for one fantastic week. We were warm. We had fun. We will be back.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Kerry Tobin
Administrator
Administrator
Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No

Re: Summer Was Eons Ago!

Postby Kerry Tobin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:48 pm

I decided we were having a "rough" winter based on two things... First, I actually heard a weather forecast that said, "Flurries this evening, accumulating up to two inches." Wait, since when did "flurries" accumulate in anything measured in inches?

Then, walking outside yesterday, seems pretty warm. Students are walking around campus without zipping up their jackets, etc. Get half a block and notice the inside of my nose is burning. Yep, 9° feels "warm".

Jeff Boettcher
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Jeff Boettcher » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:02 am

Once you get numb I guess it's not too bad. Forecasts are for 30's by next week in Central WI. Shorts & Frisbee weather!!!!

Kerry Tobin
Administrator
Administrator
Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No

Postby Kerry Tobin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:10 am

Well, 9 was a 30 degree improvement over a week or two ago... Just think of the difference from 50 to 80. 50 you put on shorts and a t-shirt, 80 you need the A/C... :lol:

Deb Richardson
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.

Postby Deb Richardson » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:58 pm

With February approaching you can count on daylight time increasing, to the point of notice.

Best summer memory, camping at Otter Lake Chippewa County Campground, catching our limit of bluegill, fish fry over an open fire! Of course cocktails! Doesn't get better than that.
Life is too short for drama & petty things!
So, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

mrbrowns

Postby mrbrowns » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:26 pm

I miss pontoon rides. I miss loons. But most of all, I miss the feeling I used to have in my toes and fingers...Three degrees felt pretty darn nice when I went outside after dark last night.
Deb's right. The days are getting noticeably longer, which should mean by mid July it will start warming up.
Gone Fishin'

kkmar
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: planning to move there later this year

Postby kkmar » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:35 pm

Y'all are really giving me a lot to look forward to! lol

Jeff Boettcher
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Jeff Boettcher » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:26 pm

kkmar,
We may **** & moan about the cold, but it does have benefits.
No fire ants, scorpions, rattlers, moccasins, gators, fewer termites, hurricanes, fewer tornadoes, etc.

Plus there are better micro breweries than down south!

kkmar
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: planning to move there later this year

Postby kkmar » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:20 pm

Well, having just gone through Ike, (and a few others) you have me at the hurricanes...lol.

Actually, I've done a few harsh north winters in my life, so not worried about Wisconsin's at all.

IAMWHATIAM
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: 4 Generations in theTomahawk/Nokomis Area

Postby IAMWHATIAM » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:36 am

After reading this thread, I have to chime in about the Wisconsin weather. I spent numerous winters as a kid in Tomahawk and now I live in south Georgia where its very mild in the winter but the summers are like a steam bath day and night. I had to laugh when I read Jeffs comment about "No fire ants, scorpions, rattlers, moccasins, gators, fewer termites, hurricanes, fewer tornadoes, etc". Where I live we have ALL of those here and let me add, agressive wild hogs! I often comment that at least when I go to Tomahawk to hunt or fish I have little worry about being the prey instead of the predator. :lol: My sister and parents still live in Tomahawk so I get teased about being a "Cold Sissy". However, I would like to retire in Tomahawk. I'd probably stay until the close of hunting season or Christmas and then RV to the south until the snow disipates. As far a summer memories go, I spent a week over the fourth in Tomahawk for our family reunion. Silver lake was great! The thing I notice the most was that the days are so loooonnnngggg in the summer. The sun comes out at 6am and it stays light until 9pm! :D
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Return to “Tomahawk and the Northwoods”