Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tomahawk Tower
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:16 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: 4 Generations in theTomahawk/Nokomis Area
To Both Ken and Kmartel,
I have to agree I was lucky to have lived in French Town for at least a few years. My name is Scott Crofoot. My mother, Ida Stelter and her family grew up in French town. I spent several years there when we lived with my Grandmother off and on while my Dad was overseas. Kmartel, by your description of the time you lived in Tomahawk it's more likely you may have known my mother. I attended Fulsher Elementary, Washington Elementary and Tomahawk JR. High before I moved away. I used to love fishing in the pond at the end of Mill Street and broke in my Ronco pocket fisherman there by catching a 4lb Bass. My Aunt used to keep a boat over at my Great Uncle Lyle Emory’s house and I used to row it by myself all the way up to the point and even over to the railroad tressel to fish. I caught many a northern in the lily pads off Bradley park. I think back to the freedom I had as a kid, especially during the summers, to go wherever I wanted. I wish my kids could experience that now, but it’s a different world. :? I remember in the winter I used to drive the old Skidoo 10hp machine through the park where I learned how easy it was to get stuck. Good times. On another day in the park we were walking the old road up to the point when we saw a low flying Cessna type pontoon plane snag on a cable hanging across the river to one of the islands. It slung the plane back and slammed it to the water right onto its pontoons. Weirdest thing I've ever seen! Everyone was fine and after about 30 minutes they all climbed back in and took off. Figure the odds! You never knew what wild life you would see in the park when riding your bike through. Deer, Ducks, Muskrats, Eagles, Squirrels to name a few. It was a great place to be a kid and I did not know how lucky I had it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:03 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

FULSHER Elementary !

I always thought it was ashame what became of the building. :x Did you ever get a chance to walk through it when it was vacated? Too bad something useful could not have been done with that building. :( I`m sure that old building could tell some tales, if it could only talk. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:56 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

KEN wrote:
FULSHER Elementary !

I always thought it was ashame what became of the building. :x Did you ever get a chance to walk through it when it was vacated? Too bad something useful could not have been done with that building. :( I`m sure that old building could tell some tales, if it could only talk. :oops:

Nope, I neve got to see inside it after it closed up. From what I understand, the place is now in private ownership and is packed full of stuff. :( I don't know if you have ever seen the movie "A Christmas Story", but everytime my family watches that movie it is like dejavue of time I spent at Fulsher and Washington school. The class room scenes and the play ground etc. Even the tongue frozen to the pole story. (In my case, I learned the hard way that the same thing happens with the monkey bars) LOL! :lol:
Your right though about the building. To bad it couldn't have been converted to a lodge or something like that.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:13 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Unfortunatly the Fulsher School may be just a memory before too long. I notice the roof is falling in on most of the rooms and it probably won't be long before the floor goes. Really a shame for such a nice building. I went there in the 50's and have some great memories of the place. Had one last chance to take a walk through it after it was closed and sitting empty. It was funny how much smaller the class rooms looked than what I remembered as a kid. Now when I drive past it almost makes me sick to see what has happened to it. :(

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:03 am 
Contributor
Contributor

To bad something wasn`t done with Fulsher School decades ago. Some buildings should always try be saved. Like schools and churches. They hold too many memories to let them just rot away. Years ago it should have been turned into a day care, community center, or something..........anything!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:02 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
I only have vague memories of the Fulsher School through knowing kids who said they attended it. I also seem to recall seeing it a few times when I was in the area (these are unclear memories here). Was it the school on County O near where County E runs into it? The school sure seems to bring up some fond memories from you guys who attended...cool!

Scott, you and I share some of the same memories of Bradley Park, French Town, etc. I've always tried to figure out how to express my childhood growing up in Tomahawk. While growing up I wanted nothing better than to be able to leave and go somewhere more 'exciting'. But what do kids know or appreciate? As an adult I have different feeling about the whole experience. But you came up with the perfect expression of how I feel about all of this...it was at the end of one of your posts.

"It was a great place to be a kid and I did not know how lucky I had it."

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:33 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Oh yes, the Fulsher School. Whoever said it looked like there was a lot of stuff being stored there is quite correct. That is an example of 25 pounds of "shinola" in a 5 pound sack. Yes, it's the one on the corner of 'E' and 'O' . Woe to anyone thinking they might let themselves in to look around. The owner is a man that lives there. Mostly he stays in a motor home outside the door. He is a quiet and likable guy, but I'm sure wouldn't hesitate to protect his turf. Thank God for memories.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:42 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

After reading some of the comments about Fulsher School, I realized many of the small schools built in the early 20th century have suffered the same fate as Fulsher. I live in Georgia now and the same has happened down here. However, I think Wisconsin has done a little better than Georgia in reutilizing some of the old school houses either by private ownership or by government reutilization. When I was in Tomahawk last summer I was fortunate enough to visit the museum and see the display on the local school history. My Grandmother was a teacher in the Cassian School at one time and my father also attended there. Mom and Dad were both THS graduates 55' & 56'. I saw photos of my Dad in elementary school (1940's) at the Cassian school. There were also many class pictures from Fulsher. I even saw a couple of myself at both Fulsher and Washington. It was great to take a step back in time and revisit those days and I appreciate the historical society for putting the display together. It was well done and I was able to share some of it with my youngest son (15).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:23 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

With all the ear marks in the stimulus package, :? wouldn`t it be nice if there were a few bucks to build The Tomahawk Tower. :wink: