Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cigarettes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:37 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Wow, a pack of cigarettes at Walmart is $8.00. That's a carton for $80.00. I can assure you I'm not interested, but you could buy a bag of weed for $80.00. If this doesn't encourage someone to quit the sticks, what will?

Post subject: Re: Cigarettes
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:14 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I'm just glad I quit 7 years ago. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:16 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: Live in
This is horrible, what is happening to the price of cigeretts. What are these people thinking.

Seriously, if the price keeps going up more people are going to quit. Who is going to replace that lost revenue generated through cigerette taxation?

You and me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:48 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Asterix, you ask who is going to replace that revenue that would be lost if people quit smoking. You said you and me. It won't be me because I feel they will start taxing that $80.00 a bag stuff. Sounds far fetched? I don't think so because back in the twenties they had prohibition on booze. People were bootlegging it and selling it illegally. So they made it legal and taxed the stuff. Now there's prohibition on pot, but lots of people are smoking it and selling it on the black market illegally. Bootlegging it. It is a multi-billion dollar business. Bingo, they'll eventually make it legal and tax the stuff. I believe history has a way of repeating it self.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:15 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
I have a feeling that this is just a sample of things to come. Between duffus doyle, obama and the rest of the tax and spend democrats we will be seeing a lot of tax increases on everything that they can think of. After all, the banks and the big corporations need the money. :x

Do all of you feel a lot better now that obama appoligized to the world for us being such bad people and all the terrible things we have done. :x

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:16 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
I grew some tobacco plants last year. They are difficult to start but not so bad after that. Here is a picture of some from last summer:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shadowman04/2911420353/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:13 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Do you sometimes feel this way ?

Attachments:
Gov..jpg
Gov..jpg [ 72.81 KiB | Viewed 4122 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:41 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

My son asked me yesterday if i was gonna quit smoking now that the price went up.. I told him "no" now I am mad... I lost a lot of family members at a young age and none of them died from smoking related illnesses.. I am so sick of people thinking that smoking is the only thing that can wreck your health.. No one lives for ever and I tell you one thing.. not many people live to be even 75 with out some major health problem.. and most health problems are not smoke related.
Raising the price of things sky high will stop some people from smoking but.. hey.. I haven't been able to even afford to go out to eat a nice T-bone for a long time either.. just another pleasure someone is trying to take away from me.
Ahhhhh the freedom of the good U.S.A.
Only the wealthy are free to do as they please.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:24 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
Actually this is pretty cheap and voluntary as far as a tax goes. The estimated cost of the Iraq war to a family of four is estimated to be from $20,000 to almost $30,000 not counting human lives. And that payment is not voluntary. One can always just not buy the tobacco product, or grow your own.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:49 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Past Resident
How high the tax is not near as interesting as the hypocrisy of it.

The biggest proponents of the tobacco tax are the same people that claim to be the champions of the poor people. How ironic is it that it is a well-documented fact that the tobacco tax hits these very same poor people the hardest.

I have always been against the tobacco taxes for that reason. I am much more in favor of outlawing tobacco all together. But then again you would be just adding it to controlled substance list and people would ignore the laws and use it anyway.

There are no simple solutions.

I quit smoking 35 years ago after years of a 2 1/2-pack habit a day. And I was very, very lucky because I just did not find it all that hard to do. I was motivated in part by the price having gone to 50 cents a pack, or there about. At $8 a pack I think I would find it ever easier!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:45 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I was to Arkansas last month and the increases have hit both Arkansas and Missouri as well so it is not just Wisconsin. I saw a sign while passing a Walmart that advertised them at about $60 a carton in MO.