Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suicide in Tripoli
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:40 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: from tomahawk
Spambot: No
In regard to the suicide in Tripoli Saturday afternoon: It all happened very fast and was over with before we had realized anything had happened. There was a "pop!...pop!" sound and then we all had to run into the gas station. A police vehicle followed a red blazer into the parking lot and they stopped infront of the building. The officers asked him to come out and he said "No!" and then we heard the shots. After being in the gas station a while, everyone was asking questions and talking about what was going on. I heard the station attendants talking and they knew who the man was and said they were keeping watch for him that he was apparently on suicide watch. A friend of the man came in the day before and told them that he was looking for him and left a number to call if they had seen him. One of the attendants said she has seen him many times over the years and said he was always a happy go lucky really super nice guy. We all walked around with a hollow pit feeling in our guts. This is always so sad when anything like this happens. The police from at least two counties were on the scene w/i 5 minutes and soon after had the scene blocked off. We had to stick around afterward for a while to be questioned and give statements and then we left. ( I wanted to give this to the Leader but the website wasn't working. )

Post subject: Re: Suicide in Tripoli
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:36 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, I believe this will become more common. Between vets who are coming home after fighting in Iraq and Afgansitan, the poor job market, and housing crunch, families are going through difficult times.

The point I want to make is that we all need to be aware of our friends and families and what they're going through. Not everyone needs to be on suicide watch, but a keener eye is needed overall. It's very possible that a 5 minute conversation may change someones outlook and possibly, thier life.