Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bradly park camping
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:06 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Past Resident
Old Scout!

That's funny! Turning beer, wine and burbon into... lol

You may get a kcik out of this;
New Direction for any war: Send Service Vets over 55!

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgxm7rqm_61c8mw6bdv

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:31 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Old Scout, thank you for taking me back to Bradley Park, if only in my mind!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:22 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Floyd,
Take your own advice & drop the subject. Islands of "peace" close to any town/city are priceless. Camp elsewhere & visit the peaceful sites on foot.

If Tomahawk wants a "city campground" look to the Road Lake area or something else on the out-skirts of town.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:58 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Am I missing something, or are only two of the posters to this thread (excluding myself) actually residents of Tomahawk? :?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:49 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: Live in
Jeff please don't be a troll.
Who is all from Tomahawk? I am.
Maybe if camping is so bad to the land we should close down the Willow resivoir camping? Why stop there. All land is precious. We should close down land for camping in all national and state parks. As a nation we should outlaw camping and make it a criminal offense punishable by death.
Seriously though, say they put in five small campsites in the front of the park. Or even less. Big enough for a couple of tents and a place to park.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:03 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Let me begin asterix by saying camping is good! I love to camp. I'm counting the days until our first camping trip. 22 to be exact!

If there were camping at Bradley Park it wouldn't take long before people would try and access the sites with units other than tents.

Camping on the Willow is way different. The sites are only accessible by water. No motor vehicle traffic, no obnoxiously large motor homes or travel trailer. There isn't an erosion concern at the camping spots on the Willow.

The state campgrounds are very closely scrutinized. Trees are planted to keep sites private, to reduce erosion, to keep those sites meant for tents and small trailers just that. The state campgrounds are on lands that have landscape that is suitable for repeated traffic, Bradley Park does not. So asterix I feel your argument is no argument.

Also for your information neup99, I paid taxes in the city of Tomahawk for many years, not currently, plan to again in the future. For that reason I feel I have a say. I really would like to see my investment safe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:44 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Gee Jeff, stub your toe on your way out of bed this morning? Or are you the new message board gestapo? lol

Personally I don't care if they put camping in the park or not. But I still think that it can be done and done right on some level, assuming the community wanted it. If they don't want it, so be it.

But I certainly think discussion on the issue via this forum is valid and fairly harmless and there is certainly room for "polite" disagreement.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:11 am 

The Tomahawk Parks and Recreation Department will be hosting a series of visioning and planning sessions over the coming months to take public comment and plan out how the city's park system will be maintained and managed over the next five and 10 years. The visioning sessions will include blue sky planning, i.e. likely campsites in the city.
If you feel strongly about this matter, as it appears many of you do, please attend the first meeting on Tuesday, May 12 at City Hall at 5 p.m. Several more meetings will follow over the coming months.
If you can't attend the meeting and would still like to have your ideas considered, you can email Mike Tolvstad, city director of Public Works, at tomahawkdpw@verizon.net.
This is a great opportunity to be a part of shaping Tomahawk's park system over the next decade.
Here's what I'll be recommending:
The city of Tomahawk owns a 10-acre parcel of lake front property (where the old DNR landing strip was and the Tomahawk Dog Park now is) that I think would be ideal for RV camping. The folks who paid for, built and maintain the dog park said they'd be more than happy to move the structure if the city ever came up with a better use for the land. Just off shore from this parcel, the city owns a roughly 12 to 14 acre island that could offer an ideal setting for tent camping.
Bridge costs, running electricity and other expenses would be covered through a city loan that would be paid back with user fees. Revenue from the campground would go into maintaining and making improvements to the park until enough revenue has been made that it can start being used as a revenue stream for the city.
I would like to see Bradley Park left as is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:31 am 
Contributor
Contributor

WOW!

That sounds like a wonderful idea! The old landing strip as camping and Bradley Park as it is... I love it! Best of both worlds!

I know the island you are referring to very well. I camped on that island a number of times in my misspent youth! lol

Didn't they used to call that Box Island or Box Factory Island? Or was that a different island....

Not sure I'd see a birdge as necessary, all that heavy equipment to build rodas. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:46 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Quote:
The city of Tomahawk owns a 10-acre parcel of lake front property (where the old DNR landing strip was and the Tomahawk Dog Park now is) that I think would be ideal for RV camping. The folks who paid for, built and maintain the dog park said they'd be more than happy to move the structure if the city ever came up with a better use for the land. Just off shore from this parcel, the city owns a roughly 12 to 14 acre island that could offer an ideal setting for tent camping.

That is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time. I think it would be great. Plant some trees for shade and a bit of privacy and you have the makings of a first class campground. It would be convienient for access to the down town, Bradley park and SARA park. Sort of the best of all worlds. Wonder if the dnr would cause problems for building the bridge and making camping sites on the island ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:55 pm 

Floyd you rascal, I thought that island was off limits to camping. Box Island or Box Factory Island is correct.
Some shade trees would need to be planted on the mainland. Not sure if there'd be a way to get around not having a bridge, though? I don't think one just open to foot traffic would be too expensive to build.
Tomahawk could have a new revenue source to help bolster its annual budget. Maybe even become a taxpayer and camper paradise.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:03 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

mrbrown, is that island off Deer Park Road? I guess my concern for this spot would be how would it be policed/monitored so it wouldn't be come party central like Otter Lake.
Thank you for enlightening us all. Wish I were still a resident I would love to be at that meeting or even be on a committee for exploring options. Guess I'll have to contact my friend Mr. Garner and give him my 2 cents worth!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:28 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Deb, The island off of the end of Deer Park Rd. is Arrowhead Island. It is the small island that the City owns and leases to the local Boy Scout troop for a camp. it is too low to build on or develope which makes it perfect for the type of camping that the Scouts do.

The Box island is just west of the RR trestle that is by the SARA park boat landing. You have to go around it to get from SARA park to Bradley park.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:48 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Thanks Scout, I know just where it is. Never knew it had a name. That would be a great spot for walk-in tent camping!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:57 am 
Contributor
Contributor

mrbrowns, you know, I don't know if it was off limits back in the 60' or not to be honest with you. If it was, we were not aware of it. We would have never done anything we were not susposed to do. Nope not us! lol

A walk over bridge would be fine, I was just kidding about the heavy equipment thing... :-)

Here's a Google Maps image of the island:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Thanks for sharing Floyd. Use Google maps quite frequently! Sure puts it all into a good perspective. That sure would be a great alternative for camping over Bradley Park. Tent sites to either walk-in to or boat. I just wonder about toilets.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:50 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

BTW Floyd, Jeff isn't the forum gestapo as you asked in an earlier post, he's the message board 'Nazi', mostly for spelling! ~smiley winkie face~ Hope you are well Jeff.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:31 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Jeff is just getting a bit fiesty, due to his yearly dose of sipping suds while fishing on Lake Alice wearing off. He will be fine in a couple of months when he makes his annual pilgramage to Zipp Inn and gets his booster dose. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:59 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Mrbrowns, is this meeting only open to residents that live in the city or can anyone that has an interest attend. I live just outside the city limits, but am involved with a lot of projects in the city, ie, Historical Society, Legion, Boy Scouts etc. I am sure there are many like me that take an interest in the city, even though we don't live within it's borders, We work, shop and and get involved with things that happen in Tomahawk and do consider it our home town.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:59 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Old Scout, I bet if you call "Paul at city hall" 453-4040! You'll get your answer. (Now how did I remember that number?)

Last edited by Deb Richardson on Sun May 03, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:20 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Well Deb, they say the memory is the first thing to go, but I guess you just proved the experts wrong. :) Do I get the impression that you called Paul on a regular basis. :)

I alway remember the joke that used to go around town that the three people that you needed to know were "Frank at the Bank, Bill at the Mill, and Paul at City hall. Now I guess it is just down to Paul. Not sure what we will do for entertainment when he retires. I do believe I will give Paul a call !

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:20 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Just stopped by city hall to pay the water bill, never called much. Stuck in my brain from the "Q"! My husband would be the one calling, only number he has in his memory bank! Of course all calls were city related. ~winky smiley face~

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:53 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Deb Richardson wrote:
Also for your information neup99, I paid taxes in the city of Tomahawk for many years, not currently, plan to again in the future. For that reason I feel I have a say. I really would like to see my investment safe.

Deb, you can probably put you feathers back in their previous location. :mrgreen: The fact that the majority of people interested in what happens at Bradley seem to be from out of town. Kind of shows why the park has more visitor during twilight hours than daylight.

Although, I did take exception to your remark regarding RV's. I know several people, my parents included, who have "oboxious RV's" and do more for one of the area parks than most of the membership combined. For your information, not everyone who has an RV is a "Cousin Eddie". :wink: Some people enjoy comfort and trailer campers aren't always handicap friendly.

Thanks for the info, mrbrowns. I'll be in Madison during the meeting, but plan to support your idea via e-mail. Best of luck on Tuesday, and thanks for taking up this matter.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:43 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

No tail feathers ruffled here neup99, just making a statement. No, not everyone that has an obnoxious RV is a "Cousin Eddie",I do certainly understand that some folks need a camping unit that meets physical needs. However, my point would be that often times people that own them try to park them in camping spots that weren't intended for them. Damaging delicate undergrowth needed to prevent erosion. They often times are in sites with no electricity, then utilizing noisy obnoxious generators. Fine if you need it for a health reason, however that has never been the case when my peace and quiet have been disturbed by the constant drone. (Little Johnny needs a DVD to go to bed or we need to microwave our potatoes before placing them on the campfire.) The use of generators in most state and national forest parks is by permit only, for health reasons. This would be a reason, in my opinion not to restore camping at Bradley Park. Guess you should probably put your feathers back in their previous location.

I totally agree with the idea for Box Island for camping. However, limited to walk-in only.

Oh and neup99 seems you must have spent many 'twilight' hours at the park if you think that there is more 'twilight' traffic than daylight or maybe that's the only time you've been there, possibly 'camping'.

Last edited by Deb Richardson on Tue May 05, 2009 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:52 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

neup99, am I getting the opinion that because your parents "do more" than the rest of us combined on the message board, our opinions shouldn't count. How do you know what everyone else here has or has not done for the parks in Tomahawk at one time or another?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next