Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Bradly park camping
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
I don't have a problem with an ice machine, firewood and a soda machine (those are all typically available at a state park too. My problem was someone said, hey lets offer bait, etc.

There is a difference between super basics (which can be managed by a camp host) and offering minnows, etc. that drive the local stores business down.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:55 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
It sounds like we're mostly in agreement that we don't think that camping in Bradley Park is a good idea...I've even changed my mind after reading some of the posts.

I like the idea that whatever is decided as Asterix writes "It should really start out small. ...with a trial period and evaluations."

Everything doesn't need to be accomplished at once. It can be built on as time, and success, allows.

Does anyone know of any comparable(and successful) city camping/park enterprises that could be looked at as a model? Rather than re-creating the wheel maybe take the good ideas from someone elses experimentation and hard work and apply them as they fit.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:11 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
If anyone went to the meeting I hope they let us know what happened. I was going to go but blew my knee out this weekend and spent the evening with the ice pack.

You out there MrBrowns ?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:06 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: Live in
I drove by city hall some time after 5 and there didn't seem to be a lot of cars there.
The city of Tomahawk already has someone that sells icecream from a cart. I'm sure hitting up a campground would be in his best intrest.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:02 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
kmartell, you asked if there were any other city campgrounds that Tomahawk could explore. The city of Stanley, WI operates a campground. (Didn't think about it before as it's not our style of camping.) What I do know about it is that they do take reservations, there are flush toilets and showers (?), no ice machine, no camp store, maybe a soda machine. It is in close proximity to the down town. I'm not sure what the firewood status is there. I do know that there are many places in Stanley that sell the undersized over priced bundles of wood. There is also private parties that sell firewood road side from their homes. I don't believe there is a camp host, but the campground is quite open and next to a highly utilized city park. Much like SARA Park. The city of Stanley PD does patrol the area continually throughout the night. There is another very nice county campground north of Stanley maintained by Chippewa Co.. Again no vending, camp store, or camp host. The county does have a woodshed that a caretaker mans for a few hours in the early AM and again in the evening. Here they have pit toilets and no showers. (We'll be there for the holiday weekend, hope the fish are biting.) Patrolled regularly by the sheriffs department. Very quiet even on a holiday weekend.

Cities and Counties can successfully run campgrounds, without much problems, in the right environments.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:57 am 

Yes, I was at the Tomahawk Parks and Recreation Committee meeting last night. I should first point out though that last night's meeting and the next are intended to tour and take stock of what's in the parks and what changes are already being planned. The visioning sessions, where camping and other long-range improvements will be discussed will come up in July and August.
That being said, there's a lot of nice improvements underway for Tomahawk's parks. Not to get off subject too much, but the Department of Public Works is getting closer to securing permission from the railroad company to connect a trail from SARA Park to the Riverwalk Trail, which is where the Hiawatha Trailhead is and is close to where a new two-mile biking trail that extends to the Tomahawk School complex begins. The Riverwalk will connect to Veteran's Memorial Park via an underpass once the new North Fourth Street Bridge is built in 2012. As part of additional road reconstruction in 2012, sidewalks will run the full length of North Fourth Street and connect Memorial Park and the downtown once the project is complete.
Talks are also taking place to connect the Hiawatha and more expansive Bearksin Trail located to the north of town.
I'm sure camping on city owned property will come up during the visioning sessions in July and August. Like others, I think this is something that should start small and build according to a well thought-out plan as it grows. The idea of looking at other communities that run campgrounds to not re-invent the wheel was brought up at a previous meeting where camping on this property was discussed. Even though annual profits by these communities were reported to be in the hundreds of thousands, one city councilman noted it was not in the city's interest to be in the business of making money.
Like others have said, we need to be careful what we wish for. Even revitalization efforts taking place in the downtown are cognoscente of not wanting to make Tomahawk the next Minocqua. But on the other hand, I would bet there are a lot of communities out there that would line up to have 20+ acres of vacant lakefront property available for use.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:25 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote:
Like others have said, we need to be careful what we wish for. Even revitalization efforts taking place in the downtown are cognoscente of not wanting to make Tomahawk the next Minocqua. But on the other hand, I would bet there are a lot of communities out there that would line up to have 20+ acres of vacant lakefront property available for use.

I have two questions concerning this.

First I can see not wanting to turn Tomahawk into a junky looking tourist trap, but a lot of the local economy is based on tourism. Perhaps we need to look at what the tourist's want when they come into town shopping etc. I am sure that the plan can balance the needs of those who live here with maintaining the tourist trade. Or would they prefer that all the tourists go further north and not do business here.

Second, why would the city councilman, prefer taking money that is badly needed to support the budget from the local tax payers rather than make a few bucks with the park and not have to raise taxes as much. Doesn't sound like he really is representing the people that elected him very well..

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:54 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Until Tomahawk sends out our factories, refuses to allow any industry or form of income other than tourism, and has more Florida and Illinois plates than Wisconsin license plates, I don't think there's any danger of turning into Minocqua. :lol:

Good news on the Riverwalk / Hiawatha trail. It'll be nice to not have to take an eight block detour to go 500 feet on the trail.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:07 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
neup99, good call! You forgot that the people of Tomahawk will always be way more friendlier, kinder, and neighborly than the people of Minocqua!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:50 am 

Old Scout,
I should've clarified what I meant about being careful what we wish for. What I failed to explain is my concern for Lake Mohawksin and the negative impacts building a campground on it could have. The waste, litter and not to mention the added boat pressure that would result. I don't have anything against tourist, but these are just some of the impacts that would no doubt result.
The reason I'd support a campground is Tomahawk, like many other communities across the state, is in desperate need of generating additional revenue sources to offset budget shortfalls. Just last night the Solid Waste and Recycling Committee basically agreed to recommend to the city council to next year absorb added costs to remove the city's recycling - the contractor had been absorbing the loss since the recycling market crashed months ago.I could go on about some of the programs and projects that have not or will not be covered because of the lack of funds, but suffice to say, the problem doesn't appear it will solve itself anytime soon. Even before this recession began the city was having difficulty making ends meet, due, in part, to the state imposed 2 percent levy cap. (On a different thought, why doesn't the state impose a levy cap on itself and practice what it preaches?)
I cannot speak for the councilman who said the city should not be in the business of making money, but what I suspect is he probably was concerned of start up costs. Plus, there's no guarantee a campground on Lake Moahawksin would be successful. That's a pretty big leap to take for a guy who every two years needs the public's support to be re-elected.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:44 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Deb Richardson wrote:
neup99, good call! You forgot that the people of Tomahawk will always be way more friendlier, kinder, and neighborly than the people of Minocqua!

I assumed everbody already knew that. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:50 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote:
Even before this recession began the city was having difficulty making ends meet, due, in part, to the state imposed 2 percent levy cap. (On a different thought, why doesn't the state impose a levy cap on itself and practice what it preaches?)

As per usual, the state and federal gov. believe in the Philosophy of " Don't do as I do, do as I tell you to do"
You have to remember the laws only apply to us.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:38 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Is anyone going to the upcoming city meeting about the parks? Are there any people in this thread that are even from Tomahawk?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:19 am 

Mark your calendars.
The first visioning session for Tomahawk's park system will be held next Tuesday (July 14) at City Hall at 5 p.m.
The Tomahawk Park and Recreation Committee will be taking ideas from the public on what they want to see in the next five, 10 and 20 years.
The first meeting will be a "blue sky" session where all ideas and opportunities will be put on the table. This will be a good time to bring up a viewing tower, campground, interpretive and bike trails, or whatever you'd like to see added to the park system in the future.
The second visioning session (Aug. 11), which also will take place at City Hall at 5 p.m., will develop the "nuts and bolts" in making possible the proposals brought up at the first session.
The bigger picture from the visioning sessions and previous meetings held concerning the parks will be to hopefully develop a comprehensive plan for the parks. This step will allow the city to apply for state and federal grants to fund proposed projects.
Hopefully we'll see you there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:38 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Did anyone here what happened at the tomahawk parks and recreation meetings in July and August?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:52 pm 

What came out of the two visioning sessions is the understanding that any improvements or additions made to the city's park system will need to be done so after a new revenue stream is created. Developing a campground is among ideas being pursued.
You can view the results from the two sessions at http://www.ncwrp.org/lincoln/tomahawk-orp.html.
The Park and Recreation Committee meets tonight at City Hall a 5 p.m. Those who would like to learn more are encouraged to attend.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:31 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Mrbrowns the link you have provided is broken.
If anyone goes to the meeting tonight could you please post here what went on.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:03 pm 

Ooops. I forgot the "c" in North Central Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission. Here's that link again: www.ncwrpc.org/lincoln/tomahawk-orp.html.
I was at last night's meeting but NCWRPC was unable to attend. They did provide of list of goals that will dictate plans in moving forward. They include providing ongoing maintenance of what now exists, generating a revenue stream, establishing "creature comforts" at most parks (ie. toilets, not swing sets for squirrels), link all trails through parks and city, develop partnerships with "friends groups", promote history of parks and city through system interpretations, and creating visionary projects to inspire continued economic growth.
Specific projects and details can be found at the above NCWRPC link.
No date has yet been set for the next Park and Recreation Committee meeting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5