Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:19 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: Live in
Has anyone ever noticed the mass of cats roaming the streets of Tomahawk. Well, I have. In my neighborhood I have noticed how the garbage is often torn apart on garbage day and I have also noticed how my yard smells like the distinct smell of cat pee. I have also noticed the fur leftovers from rabbits. In a neighborhood close to a family member there is a cat with a collar and a name tag with the name Oliver on it. This cat is mean and hisses and at anyone that gets near it. It also has many babies that roam that neighborhood. No one in the area will own up to owning him either. Also, it seems that there are a lot of cats around the Washington street area as well. What can I as a homeowner do to take care of this problem? I do believe there is a leash law in the city of Tomahawk. What is the most humane way to take care of these cats? Please, take care of your cats before someone else does.

Is there a season on feral cats? We have one for morning doves.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:40 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Look at the positive, the mouse population is most likely down!

Will the the Humane Society try to capture them?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:05 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Past Resident
Never forget, if you should die alone in you house with your pet, a dog will protect you, a cat will eat you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:57 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Floyd Alvin wrote:
Never forget, if you should die alone in you house with your pet, a dog will protect you, a cat will eat you.

Stop it :lol:

Crazy Cat Lady Nell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:23 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Asterix,
Do you have a pellet gun???

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:46 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
A fellow once told me that if you have a problem with a wolf to follow the three s's.

Shoot, Shovel and Shutup. Would that also apply to stray cats ?? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:31 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

As far as I'm concerned the problem stems from the fees that the Humane Society charges to bring in a cat. Imagine a young couple setting up housekeeping for their first place out of the parents nest. They want to get a pet and get a free cat or kitten from someone or perhaps out of the paper. Then the cat scratches the end of the couch to shreds or peed on the carpet or perhaps creates a soft sculpture masterpiece in the closet. The couple says that's enough. They already are mad at the cat and then find out they need to pay a fee to get rid of it. It becomes much easier to ride the cat to a new neighborhood or across town and kick it out of the car. Done deal. No fee to be paid. Now a cat that has a collar and hisses at humans has been living without human companionship for long enough for us to call it feral. That wild, on his own, cat meets another and has babies. More feral cats. This creates the problem. Fees at the humane society are subject to individual criteria, from $10 to $50 So now what??

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:25 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Past Resident
Not sure exactly what sorts of problems you are having with these cats (or stray dogs) but some of the minor ones can be solved with a large dose of cayenne pepper.

If you have either a dog or cat that is using your flowerbed or your front yard for a potty, you can discourage it by picking up the mess, and then sprinkle the spot with a good dose of cayenne pepper.

A dog or cat will use the scent of their last leavings to find the spot they last went. So if you want to train you own dog to go to the same place in your own yard (or your neighbors, hehehehe), pick the mess, put in the spot you want them to go and they will find it. Do this every time they make a mess where you don’t want it. Within a very short time you will have it trained.

If you just want to get rid of the animal, clean up the mess, leave the pepper, generously, (repeat after a rain) and the animal will not be around for long.

If you are training your own dog, don’t use as much pepper. As for harming the animal, never heard of it doing so beyond the temporary effect. But I am sure some bleeding heart animal lover will tell you this is cruelty.

I have used this on a couple of my pets and never had any long-term problems.

I have used it on my neighbor’s pets too. Works great. One was a digger, kept digging under my fence. I put the pepper in the hole. About an hour later I heard the dog yelping like a scaled dog. But he never touched that hole again. He moved down the fence line, and it treated that hole too. Same effect. To this day, I have never even seen him even close to the entire fence line. Problem solved. Dog still loves me when I go over for BBQ’s. Neighbor never knew a thing.

It works on opossum, skunks and other varmints.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:25 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
I think we had this conversation about 10 years back.

http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/wildlife/files/cats_and_wildlife.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:46 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

This aired a couple of times on Public TV. However, this DVD is good is you want to see all sides of this issue.
http://www.prolefeedstudios.com/blog/in ... 7/blogid/1