Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pow Wow Days
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:17 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: lifelong resident
Spambot: No
Hats off to the Lions! Another great 4th of July celebration in Tomahawk. Thanks to everyone involved in making this event possible.

I do however, have a couple of questions/concerns.

First, why must the street dance and Kwahamot Old Timers show run at the same time every year? Since it is virtually impossible to attend both events, we are forced to make what is a pretty hard decision. If they must be on the same nights, I think the Kwahamot's should start their show earlier or the street dance should run later. Give us a chance to see both.

Secondly, what is up with having street sweepers on Main Street at 3PM? The best part of the 4th of July has always been the time on the street after the parade and water fight. That is when those of us that want to see old friends and classmates reconnect. Allow the vendors that have taken the time to set-up food and drink stands to make some money after the parade.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Pow Wow Days
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:21 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
two very good points - I agree - have the two major events at different times - I want to do both!! The street sweeper - that was the first time I have ever seen that happen - I thought it was foolish.
One major point that bothered me (as well as many others I have talked with) the PowWow Queen- wasn't the idea to have young HS students run trying to obtain a scholarship toward their education? That is how is was in the past. I think the senior center was a great idea for the winner to involve but....I feel it was wrong to have an adult win the contest that was meant for students to earn a scholarship. I feel that the contest needs to be rethought next uear - or publicized as such.
But YES overall the Pow Wow days celebration this year was a great success. Just a few things to re-think :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:28 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Over all I had a great time at the events on Pow-Wow days.

The one question that I have, I have asked before, When is the Tomahawk band going to learn how to play and march like a band is supposed to ? ? :roll: It is embarrassing to see them stumbling down the street like a mob on the way to a party, especially when the other bands in the parade look so much better. If they were supposed to be in straight lines, someone forgot to tell them.

The best part of the band was the "trash Can Line", at least they were entertaining.

It is really a disgrace to the city to have them represent us. I don't blame it all on the kids, though apparently they don't have any pride in the band or personal pride or they would do better.

If this is the best the band director can do perhaps he is in the wrong business ! :x

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:10 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't see the parade, but I've seen some performances at the football games. I'd like to hear from someone involved with the program chime in to give their opinion on whether it's a lack of motivation or a lack of support. Or maybe a different issue?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:37 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Old Scout, it's the band's leadership. This was my biggest complaint when my son was in band, 11/12 years ago. Lead by example, if the leadership wants a good performance the kids will want it too! It's all about attitude.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The Tomahawk Leader received this Letter to the Editor, for publication in the July 14 newspaper:

My wife and I, and a lot of other people, are disappointed in the Pow Wow Queen decision that took place this 4th of July weekend. We felt awkward and could not believe that an 81 year old elder even got involved in this event! We thought this contest was for high school teens, an opportunity to build confidence and self-esteem, a chance to groom a path to succeed in this ever-changing and complex world that they will soon be entering. What an honor and pride it would have been for a teen to win and be crowned by the very first Pow Wow queen, and receive $1,500 towards a scholarship, instead of the first runner up’s $500. With tuitions increasing dramatically, these young adults and their families need all the help they can get. We feel that this event was poorly, unprofessionally managed and was a disgrace to Tomahawk. Perhaps by next year this event can be better planned and committed to the young students in this community.

Mark and Lani Nelson
Merrill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
I'm not sure who's in charge of the band now but the person who "ran" it when I was in school also "coached" golf while I was in it. From my experience "coaching" must be a pretty loose term. He showed up, told us to go play and that pretty much summed it up...

I'm guessing he put the same amount of effort into any of his jobs...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:09 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Then my next question is, if this dud is doing such a poor job why doesn't the school board do something about it. Can the clown and get someone in the position that will do the job properly :? !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:14 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I've asked that question myself for years Old Scout, never with an answer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:27 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk
The Pow WoW Days were good as usual. I too agree that everything needs to stay downtown after the parade. It is a great place to run into people you know. As for the Street Dance, I think it should run later and be after the Ski Show. The Ski Show has been around a long time and I think everyone enjoys watching the show and the fireworks.

As for all the debate about the band. At first, I was in complete agreement being a former band member that this band was not up to par as in years past. The cadance was off most of the time. It was also the same cadance we used 12 years ago(Drums and Roses). It is quite complicated but can be learned. If the candance is off, everything else is off in marching. Thinking about the band after the parade, they seemed very young and the July 4th parade is usually the first parade the new freshman march. Being young is what probably caused the poor perfomance. Tomahawk has a solid band program but has never been known as a marching band. In state concert competitions, they are very strong and have always scored either 1 or 2's. Give them a break, they are just kids and will get better.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:47 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: My Hometown
If you're looking for top notch marching performances, perhaps somebody should start a dedicated marching program to develop the talent and material necessary. Just because a kid plays an instrument does not mean they will can deliver grade A performances regardless of venue.

For a group that meets 1 hour a day in class for 8 months out of the year, and covers marching, pep band, concert band, and solo/ensemble pieces, I'd say the THS band does a pretty good job.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:07 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: live here
I was a member of the HighSchool Band for three years. When we marched we rocked and had fun! Yet, we got in trouble for being too loud! You cannot have it both ways. If you want the kids to have fun and play out you then cannot turn around and be upset with them for doing it.

Also, how many who have posted negative comments have played an instrument, while marching, while keeping a straight line and playing out? It is not as easy as it seems. I miis my days in band because I had a blast and was always encouraged by my teacher Mr. Madaj!

In regards to the Pow Wow Day Queen, It should be open to any female over the age of 15. Everyone and every organization is hurting financially and the fact that she won and donated the money to the Senior center is amazing and a great example of being selfless and thinking of others.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:28 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: FRIENDS UP THERE
It's hard to believe in a great country like ours that a person who works hard to reach a goal like Queen of the Pow Wow days should be critized because she is a senior citizen. What rule has she broken by wanting to run? She must of worked hard to sell 2274 tickets. Hat's off to Dolores for a job well done. Im sure the Queen of England would be proud, who also is a Senior citizen and Queen at her age.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:20 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

After reading all these excuses for the poor performance of the band, it makes me wonder how other bands can accomplish these tasks and look good but Tomahawk can't. I have watched the bands from Merrill, Rhinelander, Edger, and several others and they all have their act together and put on a great perfomance. I am sure they are the same age and have the same abilities. To me it all boils down to the teacher that either can't or doesn't want to make the effort to teach the kids the right way, and instead just lets the sloppy marching and poor performance be the standard to which they are held. No one improves with out someone teaching them and holding them to a high standard so they have a goal to strive for.

I don't blame the kids, I blame the teacher ! The sooner he is gone the sooner the kids will start learning and striving to excell.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: live here
The band director in Tomahawk either doesn't know or doesn't care. Marching in a straight line is easy. If you can keep time to play music, marching is not hard. He just doesn't give the kids the time and practice they need to look good. Look at what we see at sporting events. The director plays and instrument instead of directing the band. Not a good choice. He needs to dedicate a little more time teaching these kids how its done. I'm sure there is someone in this community that knows a little about marching bands and could volunteer a little time to help them out.
I know I would if I was asked.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:05 pm 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: native
Okay, when I first read that Mrs. Martens was running for Pow Wow Queen I thought it was terrific. When I saw her crowned at the ski show, I still thought it was terrific. However, I did hear (from a reliable source :wink: ) that she bought hundreds of dollars of her own tickets. If that's the case, I'm not sure the playing field was equal. The young ladies who ran certainly couldn't afford to do that. I do think Mrs. Martens had very altruistic intentions, believing the Senior Citizen Center would benefit, but I'm not sure if that's the case. The Lion's Club would be the ones to determine where the profits would go, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Pow Wow Queen: I strongly believe that anyone that can call a beautiful lady that is 81 years old a disgrace apparently does not think they will ever become a senior themselves. I was very excited to hear that this lovely lady won this challenge and our young people should learn a lesson from her hard work and dedication she showed. The young need to get out there and do more like she did to win. Congrats to the queen, you are not a disgrace but an inspiration to all. She donated her winnings to a very good cause and should be commended not criticized.

Brenda Deavers
Milwaukee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:46 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Scout,
A concert band may not be the best marching band. I played baritone sax in high school in Appleton. We practiced marching, but we were not good compared to Appleton East. Their teacher/director emphasized marching band. The result for them was an invitation to New years Day parades (Rose, Orange, etc.) Our director/teacher emphasized concert performances & jazz band. WE ROCKED in jazz. They didn't even bother to field a jazz band. We were a Great concert band. They were OK.

As a Vet, maybe close order drill is important to you. But it obviously isn't a priority to the Tomahawk director/teacher. Have you gone to any of their concerts? Do the concerts "stink" too? If that is the case, then I'd say you have a legitimate beef. If the concerts and possibly solo/ensemble results of participating students are good, leave him alone. Volunteer to be Marching Coordinator if it bugs you so badly.

Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:18 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I hated marching & quit during my first year of High School Band. That meant no jazz band, but I would not put up with before school marching practice. My loss.

Scout,
Did you play in your day?

Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:19 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Jeff, having been a parent of that program I have to tell you there isn't true leadership there. Concert band was mediocre, back 11 years ago. The kids wanted to play certain pieces for Pep band, they were told no because too many copies of certain parts were missing, not the case. A little search resulted in copies of all parts for all instruments. Concerts were scheduled for the same night as basketball games, can't have both the same night because the gym was in use for basketball. Middle school students were told solo and ensemble was a requirement, I don't have a problem with that. I do think a month prior to the competition is really not enough notice or preparation time. Many of the students were already committed to a basketball tournament and other family commitments. The kids were told compete or be graded down drastically for the quarter. We fought that and came to a workable compromise provided by an intern that was working in the program at the time. I could go on and on. Band is not a top priority in the Tomahawk schools, which is the root of the problem. Thus, the lack of leadership is allowed to continue.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:05 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Have band parents and students appeared in front of the School Board & demand some action?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:08 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

No, mainly because it's an "easy" class for an easy A! Most complaints fall on deaf ears. Like I had mentioned band is not a priority.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:10 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Old Scout,
Judging from the general responses about the Tomahawk Band Program it sounds like you're flogging a dead horse about marching.
That stinks for the students who might be considering a music major.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:58 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Due to the weakness of the band program Tomahawk hasn't had many music majors.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:51 am 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: Been coming to Tomahawk since 1948 until settling in area in 1958
In regard to the Pow Wow Queen. I believe the contest was won fair and square. It was won by alot of hard work and dedication getting the votes. If the young girls worked as hard as she or even harder they could have been Queen. I would be ashamed if I were them to let a senior citizen beat them!!! And from what I understand they were poor losers not even congratulating the winner. God Bless the Pow Wow Queen.