Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Northwoods Miscellanea
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:26 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Hey Deb!

How's this for a "catch-all" topic heading?

Sure hope I spelled "miscellanea" correctly. I wouldn't want to fall prey to the new spelling czar.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:48 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Two series, no first downs, 1-4 passing for 4 yards.

May this be the trend for the Favre-led Viqueens!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:18 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
What ever makes him happy ! :lol: :lol:

Attachments:
File comment: We wouldn't want to have him throw a temper tantram !
Favre.jpg
Favre.jpg [ 77.31 KiB | Viewed 11294 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:40 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

We need to start limiting all U.S. politicians to two terms:
One in office and one in prison. (Illinois already has begun that plan!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:26 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
~eye roll, head shake~ Glad I'd overlooked this one before!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:10 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Aw come on Deb. Not even one smiley face?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:56 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

~head shake and half smirk~

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:35 am 
Contributor
Contributor

My drive home from work this morning left me with the question, "Who would get a tattoo from a guy in a trailer in the parking lot of Nelson's?"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:25 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

You make the guy seem like a toothless Neanderthal. These guys that have mobile tattoo parlors are very successful tattoo shop owners from their respective towns. These tattoo trailers are constantly under the scrutiny of their hometown health departments, and if our health department is doing their job, also inspected here. This guy in a trailer, as you say, is not in a homemade ice shack on wheels. That trailer is about $30,000 dollars worth and if you were to step inside you would find out it is so well maintained and clean that you'd be able to eat off the floor. They are air conditioned so the doors can stay shut to not allow dust from the lot in. They don't even use an autoclave, as every customer gets a brand new set of needles right out of a sealed package. The only way a person could get an infection is after they leave and don't keep the sight clean or allow dust to enter the fresh tattoo. Don't judge until you inspect. By the way, these guys make around $30,00 thousand dollars a day doing about 15 tattoos at an average of $200.00 Take that times four days in that lot is $120,000 These guys aren't stupid. If you can draw, you ought to think about running one your self. That guy does about 5 bike rallies a year; Laughlin California, Sturgis, Daytona bike week, and our Fall Ride, and Iowa Bike Rally. Now furthering the math, $600,000 thousand a year. That guy in the "trailer" is funny.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:26 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

You make the guy seem like a toothless Neanderthal. These guys that have mobile tattoo parlors are very successful tattoo shop owners from their respective towns. These tattoo trailers are constantly under the scrutiny of their hometown health departments, and if our health department is doing their job, also inspected here. This guy in a trailer, as you say, is not in a homemade ice shack on wheels. That trailer is about $30,000 dollars worth and if you were to step inside you would find out it is so well maintained and clean that you'd be able to eat off the floor. They are air conditioned so the doors can stay shut to not allow dust from the lot in. They don't even use an autoclave, as every customer gets a brand new set of needles right out of a sealed package. The only way a person could get an infection is after they leave and don't keep the sight clean or allow dust to enter the fresh tattoo. Don't judge until you inspect. By the way, these guys make around $30,00 thousand dollars a day doing about 15 tattoos at an average of $200.00 Take that times four days in that lot is $120,000 These guys aren't stupid. If you can draw, you ought to think about running one your self. That guy does about 5 bike rallies a year; Laughlin California, Sturgis, Daytona bike week, and our Fall Ride, and Iowa Bike Rally. Now furthering the math, $600,000 thousand a year. That guy in the "trailer" is funny.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:18 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Catfish wrote:
You make the guy seem like a toothless Neanderthal.

I made no suggestion of his dental record or place in evolution, but, if I were going to assume that, it would be because of his attire and appearance.

Catfish wrote:
These guys that have mobile tattoo parlors are very successful tattoo shop owners from their respective towns. These tattoo trailers are constantly under the scrutiny of their hometown health departments, and if our health department is doing their job, also inspected here.This guy in a trailer, as you say, is not in a homemade ice shack on wheels. That trailer is about $30,000 dollars worth and if you were to step inside you would find out it is so well maintained and clean that you'd be able to eat off the floor. They are air conditioned so the doors can stay shut to not allow dust from the lot in. They don't even use an autoclave, as every customer gets a brand new set of needles right out of a sealed package. The only way a person could get an infection is after they leave and don't keep the sight clean or allow dust to enter the fresh tattoo. Don't judge until you inspect.

I really don't care if the guy's uncle is Dr. Thomas Frieden, I'm not going to get a tattoo in a glorified snowmobile trailer. Sterility is difficult to maintain in a medical environment. A tattoo "artist" is not a medical professional and I wouldn't expect he would operate as one.

Catfish wrote:
By the way, these guys make around $30,00 thousand dollars a day doing about 15 tattoos at an average of $200.00 Take that times four days in that lot is $120,000 These guys aren't stupid. If you can draw, you ought to think about running one your self. That guy does about 5 bike rallies a year; Laughlin California, Sturgis, Daytona bike week, and our Fall Ride, and Iowa Bike Rally. Now furthering the math, $600,000 thousand a year. That guy in the "trailer" is funny.

Your math is significantly flawed. 15 tattoos per day x $200 = $3,000; $3,000 per day for 4 days is $12,000; $12,000 x four rallies is $60,000

Now $60,000 - $30,000 for the "mobile tattoo parlor" = $30,000;

assuming an overhead supply cost of 25% is $7,500; $30,000 - $7,500 = $22,500;

for fuel costs, at best a truck pulling a trailer is going to get 15 mpg, a round trip for those four locations is 6,800 miles, give or take equaling roughly 453 (ironic) gallons of fuel, x $2.60 per gallon (national average of gas and diesel) = $1,177.80; $22,500 - $1,177.80 = $21,322.20;

drive time is about 4 days and 5 hours or 101 hours, 101 hours x $12.00 minimum for a decent driver = $1,212.00, $21,322.20 - $1,212.00 = $20,110.20;

15 nights of hotels for each rally = 20 nights at @ $150.00 per night (prices go up during rallies) = $3,000, $20,110.20 - $3,000 = $17,110.20;

vendor fees @ $250 per location = $1,000, $17,110.20 - $1,000 = $16,110.20;

- 5.5 % sales tax on $60,000 sales = $3,300, 16,110.20 - $3,300 = $12,810.20

20 days of rallies putting in an expected average of 16 hours per day = 320 hours per person @ 2 people to keep 15 people in chairs per operating day, set up, tear down, cleaning, designing tattoo's, explaining the process etc. = 640 work hours, $12,810.20 / 640 hours = $20.02 / hour;

- 30% for federal taxes, state taxes, FICA, etc = $6.00, $20.02 - $6.00 = $14.02 / hour, barring any unforeseen costs.

For $14.02 per hour and no insurance to give wanna-be's "Live to Ride, Ride to Live" tattoos, no thanks, I'll keep my current job.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:59 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

You're right my math was Bush-like being a little fuzzy. My mind wasn't working that well at 3:30 A.M. But if I work all night I sleep during the day. When I work all day I sleep at night, anywho.
The mobile parlor is a one time expense, not every year. The operating costs are not 25%, less than ten bucks per. They do far more than 20 per day. I was being generous only speaking of the $200 ones they do that many for a hundred and that many for $50. They operate from 9 in the morning to about 4 am just to keep all the appointments acumulated during the day. They work from flash books and their own photo alnums. It's like which one do you want and the girlfrien or wifey does that outside at theeir table.
They drive themselves and don't pay drivers at $12 per hour.
The trailer is so equipped that they pull a mattress out of the back of the pick-up that tows the trailer. So they don't leave nights for motel rooms. I know a few of them personally and they make at a minimum of a hundred grand a year. Just spoke to a bud this morning. Any way they aren't dealing with just bikers who you seem are inappropiate. Their dealing with business people, lawyers too. I know a VERY good attorny in Tomahawk that has a couple on each upper arm. When they got their lawyer outfit on you do't see them. Many acters and Hollywood stars have them. They're wealthy and not sordid. As far as "bikers" go, these are people that make good money somewhere because they not only have a nice car or truck, they have a $25,000 dollar bike. You can't be a bum or "lowlife" owning both. Talked to a bud this morning and he assured me all the roving tatt guys are making over a hundred grand a year, net. That still is pretty respectful pay. I rest now, giddy-up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:17 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Past Resident
hmmmm?

Who in their right mind gets a tattoo at all!!??

And if the guy is so successful in his home town, why does he find it necessary to haul is tat-aratus around in a wagon like a snake oil peddler?

Can you tell I don't like tattoos? lol

If I owned Nelson's I would run the guy off with a rock salt tattooed butt from a 12-gauge shotgun. I bet Buck is spinning in his grave.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:37 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Let's just remember looks can be deceiving.

A change of scenery is good thing, even for a tattoo artist. He may have a successful home based business but why not go where there's the potential to make a little extra money in a relatively short amount of time.

I have to agree with Catfish, these guys have to answer to health regulations. Within the biker community they know who's safe and who isn't. (Actually had this conversation with one of my patients yesterday that had a tat done in Sturgis.) I don't think anyone wants to end up with HepC.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:06 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Good way to avoid HepC and all other problems with tattoos is: DON'T GET A TATTOO! lol

Your body was not intended to be an artist canvas. If it was it would have staples running all along the sides.

Oh, wait I think I seen that guy going into that tattoo trailer.

All these body piercing are even more repulsive then the tattoos.

I guess I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:40 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Just because you don't get Floyd or like it doesn't make it wrong. I for one don't like to see the over done tats nor am I a fan of a tackle box of piercings. For some people it's a meaningful way to remember or pay tribute to someone or a significant event in their life. You just might be surprised at who within the Tomahawk community has a tat such as that. Maybe even someone that's considered a mover and shaker.

If you want to avoid any communicable disease (HepC, HepA, HepB or the like) then I guess you run that risk going to the dental office or any medical facility having any procedure done that may expose blood, you don't stay away from them do you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:45 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Health Care vs "Body Art". I'll take my chances with the health care professionals, despite the horror stories we hear about staff & other infections. I go to the HCPs to get or stay healthy. That's important to me and not a debatable choice. Getting injected with ink is thoroughly optional.

As a result Deb, your second paragraph makes no sense to me.

Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:58 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

My second paragraph does make sense, guess I should have been more specific. It's surprising how many people don't reveal the fact that they have a disease such as Hepatitis or HIV when filling out medical history. Often times it's only through additional question or by accident that the fact a patient has a disease is revealed. You would also be surprised to know that at times, not in any office I've worked in, that sterilization procedures fail, unbeknownst to the operator. Not all reputable medical or dental facilities are up to date on infection control procedure. You would also be surprised to know that the guy in the trailer doing tats is watched more closely by health officials than most medical and dental clinics, due to the nature of that business. In nearly 20 years of working in the dental field not once have I ever seen any type of inspection other than by the local fire department. The only time OSHA or any other agency would do an inspection is if there were to be a complaint or an incident.

I know that the offices I've worked in are strict and responsible when it comes to monitoring sterilization equipment, keeping up to date on the latest infection control methods, and practicing infection control to the highest of standards. But not once has any agency ever inspected or questioned these procedures.

I'm not saying that failed sterilization can't happen with the guy doing tats in a trailer, but I do know he's being watched far closer than the dental office I work in. Like I posted earlier within the biker community the word is out who to and who not to trust for a healthy tat. These artists,yes they are considered artists, have a livelihood to maintain, nothing takes that livelihood away like making people sick and going to jail. Maintaining a sanitary environment is very important to them.

Actually, I'd be more concerned with the piercing places in malls. I've observed sub-standard sanitation methods, called them out on it, although it didn't involve me or anyone I knew.

Jeff, I guess maybe you should know a few more facts before you tell someone they don't make any sense. Then again I should have been more specific. ~big wide obnoxious as heck smiley face~

Actually, when you come right down to it, which, if any of us truly makes any sense at all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:23 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I stand by my post & would include mall piercing in with tats.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:00 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Well, now Deb, I'm not a medical professional, nor do I play one on TV, but my guess is that your local dentist office or any other medical facility is going to be far more safe then some fly-by-night tat-parlor-on-wheels. Just a guess on my part.

I also what to say that although I don't get it, I really, deep down inside, don't care what people want to do to their body. I admit I don't like it and never will. But it's their body. I am kind of libertarian in that respect.

At the same time, when I go sit down in a restaurant or stand at the order window of fast food place and the wait person opens their mouth and it is full of fish hooks and wheel weights, I'm out of there!

If they have hubcaps or wind chimes dangling form their nose or lips, I'm out of there even before I get to the table or the counter.

It's repulsive and disgusting. I walked out of grocery store the other day and left a cart full groceries at the register because the check out women had a bunch of junk hanging off here lips and chin. All of it surrounded with the blackish green stuff that you get form cheap metal in contact with your skin.

But it's their life. If they want to turn themselves into a junk yard art form, they have the right to do that. ( I wonder if some of these people have to avoid walking past a junk yard? And how do they get through airport security?)

And yes, I readily agree, I may be wrong in my thinking, and that is my right.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:29 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Floyd Alvin wrote:
But it's their life. If they want to turn themselves into a junk yard art form, they have the right to do that.

Yep, everyone was given a brain, but it's their right not to use it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:43 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Deb Richardson wrote:
It's surprising how many people don't reveal the fact that they have a disease such as Hepatitis or HIV when filling out medical history. Often times it's only through additional question or by accident that the fact a patient has a disease is revealed.

That's because the patient is not required to disclose their HIV/AIDS status. Unless there has been a possible exposure to a provider.

Deb Richardson wrote:
You would also be surprised to know that at times, not in any office I've worked in, that sterilization procedures fail, unbeknownst to the operator. Not all reputable medical or dental facilities are up to date on infection control procedure.

If the operator doesn't know this is happening, how would you know? Are you using your own autoclave, or are you contracting sterilization services? Any sterilized equipment (except gloves) should have a SteriGage or other device to verify sterilization. How exactly is this happening?

Deb Richardson wrote:
You would also be surprised to know that the guy in the trailer doing tats is watched more closely by health officials than most medical and dental clinics, due to the nature of that business.

Ummmm. No. JCAHO does regular scheduled and surprise inspections of hospitals and medical clinics along with self regulation within medical facilities. Do not assume that because your dental office doesn't get inspected that medical offices and facilites have the same leniency.

Deb Richardson wrote:
In nearly 20 years of working in the dental field not once have I ever seen any type of inspection other than by the local fire department. The only time OSHA or any other agency would do an inspection is if there were to be a complaint or an incident.

I know that the offices I've worked in are strict and responsible when it comes to monitoring sterilization equipment, keeping up to date on the latest infection control methods, and practicing infection control to the highest of standards. But not once has any agency ever inspected or questioned these procedures.

I'm not saying that failed sterilization can't happen with the guy doing tats in a trailer, but I do know he's being watched far closer than the dental office I work in.

This is more than slighty disturbing. However, if the office of public health is not bothering to show up at your dentist office, I doubt they're chasing tattooist around.

Deb Richardson wrote:
Like I posted earlier within the biker community the word is out who to and who not to trust for a healthy tat. These artists,yes they are considered artists, have a livelihood to maintain, nothing takes that livelihood away like making people sick and going to jail. Maintaining a sanitary environment is very important to them.

Yep, they call the people who work at Subway "Sandwich Artists", too. What was that saying about lipstick on a pig...

Deb Richardson wrote:
Jeff, I guess maybe you should know a few more facts before you tell someone they don't make any sense.

Pots...Kettles...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:25 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Floyd, of you have the right to think the way you do, your post made me laugh out loud. You do have a great sense of humor.
Mind you, I'm not a fan of the tackle box look or the excessive ink. However, it is my understanding is that the people with the portable tattoo parlors aren't fly by nighters and contrary to what neup99 has to say, are monitored very closely by health officials.

Like I previously posted, looks can be deceiving. Multiple tats or piercings does not a bad, unsanitary person make.

Last edited by Deb Richardson on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

neup99, you seem to forget we don't ridicule here. I'm sorry you feel the need to ridicule my post. Most everything actually.

I could pick apart all that you posted, but I won't. Doesn't pay, I have far more important things to do than defend what I know.

BTW, I enjoying watching the creative artistic manner in which my sandwich is fixed at Subway. Those people sure do take pride in their work.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:22 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Deb Richardson wrote:
neup99, you seem to forget we don't ridicule here.

Your posting history contradicts your statement.

Deb Richardson wrote:
I could pick apart all that you posted, but I won't. Doesn't pay, I have far more important things to do than defend what I know.

You don't have to pick apart my post. Just supporting your claims would be fine.

Deb Richardson wrote:
BTW, I enjoying watching the creative artistic manner in which my sandwich is fixed at Subway.

If I were going to ridicule anything, this would be it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next