Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:22 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
~head shake~ Guess some people just don't get it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:21 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Bucky Badger football looked like a winner today. It will be interesting to see how the team responds to playing the Gophers at Minnesota.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:43 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Nice diversion Jeff! Bucky did look good. Gotta love the Axe Game!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:50 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Trade Aaron Kampman for a starting Left Tackle? Aaron is a top pass rusher in a "4-3" scheme. He is a free agent after this year & might be happier playing for a team that plays that defensive style. Wouldn't it be a "win/win"?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:26 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hey Kerry!

What's a "spambot"?

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
We were getting a number of registrations from automated systems trying to post spam messages. I had to manually go through each of them and remove the junk ones. The changes to the registration & profile page help to avoid the automated systems.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:05 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Did any one happen to see & tape the Discover Wisconsin show this weekend? Tomahawk & Merrill were the feature for this week's show.
Nancy & I only caught the last 5 minutes.

I've e-mailed the folks at Discoverwisconsin.com to see if they will replay the show or if we can eventually see it on their web site. But if their response is "no", we'd still like a chance to view the episode.

Thanks,

Jeff & Nancy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:58 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

From the folks at discoverwisconsin.com:

The Merrill/Tomahawk episode will air again December 11/12, 2010. If you do
not want to wait that long to see the episode again, we do have copies
available. We charge $25.00 for all show purchases, and you can choose
between VHS or DVD. Taxes (if applicable) and shipping charges are included
in the price.

To start the billing process, please call the number below and ask for Kara.
I will need your credit card information (money orders are also an option)
and the shipping address where you'd like to have the DVD/VHS sent.

Thanks for the e-mail and for watching Discover Wisconsin!

Kara Giedd
Discover Mediaworks
608-442-5973

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:27 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I emailed the folks at Discover WI to see if Dec 2010 was a typo & they meant 12/09 for re-running the Tomahawk/Merrill episode. They replied that it will be 12/2010.

I'd love to see it sooner, but the $25 that they want for the DVD buys a lot of good beer!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:10 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Catfish,
How are you feeling??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:11 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hello Jeff and everyone from our Leader Board family, I am totally freaked out over my transplant. It has been 38 days now since. My incision feels like they just cut yesterday, however it is healing very well and three quarters of the 30 inch incision is looking like an old scar. Staples were taken out 2 weeks ago. The only place still healing is where the three incisions meet in the center of my chest. I hope this isn't to graphic for anyone.
Also however, I am feeling real good and know that the match was an excellant one. I go to Madison for clinic visits to be seen by the transplant surgeon. He assures me this was a great successful transplant. I thank God daily for this new chance I have been given with the donors organ. I also pray for the donor and it's family because for my gift someone died to make it possible. I don't know and they can't tell me who it was. So I don't know if it was from a male or female, whether it was old or young, or if it was from a gorrilla. They protect the donors family from contact because of different degrees of grieving. They encourage a letter from the recipient to the donor family but is sent to the transplant coordinator and then forwarded to the donor family. No name or city is allowed in that letter. Then the donor family may write the same way thru the coordinator. If the donor family wants to meet they will accommodate and put the two together. In my letter I expressed to meet with them. I'd like to thank them in person and give them a heart felt hug. I am so greatful for the donor and family. People please understand what a great thing you can do by offering your organs for someone else to live that is searching for a way to hang on to life. Just telling the DMV you want to have the sticker for your driver's license isn't enough. You must register with a form that the DMV will help you with. I am not allowed to lift anything over 5 pounds for two more months. My vital levels are sent in to Madison daily thru this home gizmo that records them all and is sent automatically thru the phone lines. I have to hook myself up every morning at 8 A.M. Three mornings a week they send a nurse from Home Health Care from Aspiris Hospitol Wausau to draw blood which they send to Madison for evaluation on the meds I need to take. I take meds four times each day, totalling 36 pills. Some are anti rejection, some anti viral etc etc . My immune system has been shut off. The immune system would percieve the new liver as a foreign object and want to reject it so they just shut off your immune system. They warn me not to be around a sick or coughing person as I will very easily catch a virus or bacteria. That makes me feel very vulnerable in a crowded place like a theatre, Walmart, church etc. If I touch something like a doorknob that has been touched by someone that has just coughed into their hand, I could be screwed. I am encouraged to wash my hands frequently and not to touch my face until doing so. This all makes me feel so fragile and is somewhat depressing. I am sure happy this transplant is behind me because I was truly on my deathbed without it. But now I sure realize I have a lifelong committment now. Thank you Jeff for you asking how things are going and sorry for the lengthy dissertation. Yours truly, Catfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:25 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Catfish, glad to hear things are going well for you. The info you passed along is very interesting, thanks for sharing. Continued daily improvement. One question how much do you go out and are you wearing a mask when you do? How long will you immune system need to be shut off, indefinitely? My prayers, as I'm sure everyone else here, are with you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:36 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Deb, I venture out once in a while for a ride to town with my wife to the super market or Walmart just to see something like the sky and trees because my living room recliner is getting pretty boring. When I'm in Walmart and heading down an aisle and I hear someone down that aisle coughing I turn around and go the other way. We went to an estate sale a week ago and was crowded with people, some were coughing so I put a mask on and breathed light under it. I am feeling now a little more serious about situations like that but I got to move around a little bit because I'm going crazy just sitting around. I wish I could go to work but can't because it would screw me up with my limits on my Medicaide. Really need that because the pills alone are $3,000 per month besides the clinic visits to Madison frequently. If they make you into a pauper or are from another country they will take care of you. I have always been self employed so never had the luxury of being insured. We go to church every Sunday so there is another place that could be dangerous with people in close proximity. We try to sit in back away from people. I don't know how long they will keep me shut off and plan on asking that very question next visit to the transplant clinic. I do know I will be taking the meds for the rest of my life. What a thought, it is somewhat depressing but I'm alive and sure will enjoy spending time with my family and the cutest little 4 year old grand daughter. I am greatful for what has been done for me and thank God daily. I really enjoy corresponding on a forum with all you people because it is one of my few windows to the world. With a smile, I remain the Catfish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:59 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Catfish,
I hope things are continuing to go well. I worked with a man who had a liver transplant. He has done well & has tranferred to the HQ of our company. His promotion demonstrates that his transplant certainly didn't hinder his professional development or his social interactions after whatever time they set to be worried about social contact infections!

On a different topic: My 77 year old Dad has been in the hospital for a week with no end in sight fighting kidney problems, a bowel obstuction, & pneumonia. All prayers are welcome!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:45 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Jeff, adding your dad to the list. He's the same age as my mom. It's certainly not easy seeing a parent in declining health. Lost my dad 15 years ago to cancer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:01 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Jeff, Sorry to hear about Dad. He will definately be prayed for and I will hold good thoughts for his health. While I was at U.W. Hospital Madison I met a lot of kidney people. Just like my liver, the kidneys are nothing to scoff at. Just remember that what the doctors may say, many people baffle them, making them wonder how the body heals itself. I believe that faith and prayer have so very much to do with healing. If someone doesn't adhere to the prayer and faith idea, it also could be called the "Power of Positive Thinking" May he be Blessed and kick those problems. He has 10-15 more years of kicking around to look forward to. Keep his chin up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:24 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Thanks! Dad is getting better. The folks at AMC are fantastic & he is one tough cookie too.
(Besides, he need to get well to attend stuff like his grandkids weddings.)

On a lighter and totally inappropriate note: A pic on how pumpkin pies are made.

Attachments:
File comment: How Pumpkin pies are made.
pumpkin pie.jpg
pumpkin pie.jpg [ 48.07 KiB | Viewed 2399 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:17 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Jeff, glad to hear your Dad is doing well. ~head shake, eye roll~ on the pie picture. Received it at least 5 times in the past month. Guess that's really OK, we do need a certain amount of inappropriate levity in our lives.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:09 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Bummer. Yesterday was the first time that I had seen it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:24 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Don't be bummed Jeff, I think it means you must have a classier group of e-mail friends. ~big wide smiley face~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:22 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
What will be the dnr's favorite excuse for the low numbers of deer taken this year. Was it the fog, the warm weather, sitting on the wrong stump, or the hunters falling asleep in their stand.

Never will they admit that there are too many bear, wolf and coyote and not near as many deer as they think there are.

And let the B S begin ! !

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:54 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

In a cemetery in England :

Remember man, as you walk by,
As you are now, so once was I
As I am now, so shall you be.
Remember this and follow me.

To which someone replied by writing on the tombstone:

To follow you I'll not consent.
Until I know which way you went.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:17 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Old Scout wrote:
What will be the dnr's favorite excuse for the low numbers of deer taken this year. Was it the fog, the warm weather, sitting on the wrong stump, or the hunters falling asleep in their stand.

Never will they admit that there are too many bear, wolf and coyote and not near as many deer as they think there are.

And let the B S begin ! !

Vehicle collisions reported and unreported kill more than ten times as many deer as coyote and wolves combined. And having a stake in both the forest and Ag areas I would say there are in fact way, way too many deer. Finished cutting up another one today!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:28 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote:
Vehicle collisions reported and unreported kill more than ten times as many deer as coyote and wolves combined.

And how do you count the deer killed by wolves and bear ? I really question the validity of that statisic

That begs the question, why are so many hunters reporting that they haven't seen any deer all season ?

There may be a few areas that have a good herd, but from what I have seen I may as well have stayed home and read a good book. When I go for weeks driving on a county rd. night after night and never see any compared to a few years ago when I felt like I was taking a chance just leaving the house because I was dodging deer all the way to town.

No one will convince me that there are anywhere near the numbers of deer that the dnr claims.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:48 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

As far as the word being, there aren't any in your woods goes I think it depends on who is hunting. I had a group of guys come up from the south that hunted my eighty for several years. They never did very well, however I saw deer all over the property every time I'd walk thru the woods and fields. They lost interest and split. This year I leased the property to a new group of four from New Berlin. They put up about a dozen new stands on different runs and had a camera on each one. Wow you should see the photos they brought me. There are lots and lots of deer here. Also photos of a large Bobcat with two little ones. That photo shows her running along our middle field fence line with a rabbitt in her mouth. Very cool pic. Other pics of one of the three resident Bears on our property, numerous Turkeys, Coyote, Racoons, and the really large Buck my neighbor and I have been seeing for the last couple of years. There are many group pics of multiple does while feeding on the fallen apples. Opening morning the group shot a nice buck and a doe. They went back to New Berlin or they would have bagged more. I guess some people keep the deer tight and never see them or have an oppurtunity for a shot and others bag two first morning. Go and figure. I think if you don't get any oppurtunity, you have to learn to hunt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next