Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:26 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Well here it is already....Thanksgiving morning. I am wishing everyone a very Happy Day. Be cool with all the family members that you see during the holiday. Tolerate....it's only one day...or one weekend....or one week....hey people, don't you think it's time to go home now? Haha
Someone e-mailed us this wonderful Thanksgiving prayer to start your family meal with. If interested, here it is :

Oh, Heavenly Father,
We thank thee for food....and remember the hungry.
We thank thee for health....and remember the sick.
We thank thee for freedom....and remember the enslaved.
May these remembrances stir us to service,
That thy gifts to us....may be used for others. Amen

(also remember our troops that are not with their families during this day) May God Bless Us All

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:28 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
I totally agree with the Catfish thoughts and prayer for today. From sunny northern California... I hope you all have a great and safe Thanksgiving with your family and friends.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:02 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Quote:
I think if you don't get any oppurtunity, you have to learn to hunt.

Places that I hunt are the same places others and I have hunted for years. We have up until the last few year always seen deer and have had good luck hunting. From seeing a dozen deer a day to being lucky to see one or two tells me that there are very few deer in the area.
I think after 50 years of hunting I am pretty good at reading deer sign and knowing where to look for them. Most of my friends have also hunted for many years and have a lot of experience. Comparing local hunters that know the area with a group of flatlanders is a poor argument.

Perhaps in your area you don't have a resident wolf population like we do and I have seen three bear in my yard on one day and several others besides. Not to mention there are two packs of coyotes in the area.

Like I said, it all depends on where you are, what else lives in the area and how many times the dnr counted the same deer.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:44 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

While it's true we don't have a wolf population here but do have the Bobcats, Coyotes and three Bear, we still have lots of deer. The 'flatlanders' camera on just the south end of our cow field has snapped 640 photos since opening day. Numerous shots of two eight pointers and one six pointer fighting over a doe are still out there. Those three made the 'large' buck on opening morning seem small. However the flatlanders did come back Friday and didn't see anything other than what the camera saw. Don't know what to say now?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Well, we've seen at least 8 different bears on our 80 acres. But from Sat through Tuesday no one saw a single deer (using multiple locations). We don't have any wolves, they'd starve to death on our land...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:00 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

When I walk two hundred yards behind my house and find the remains of two deer that the wolves took down, I don't have to wonder why I don't see any around any more. We consistantly see 6 to 8 different bear in the area. One takes the adult deer and the other cleans out the fawns.

Next year I am going to go and hunt by Catfish's house. ! He must have the only herd left in the county.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:39 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Don't know....just calling them like we're seeing them. Our neighbor one mile up from ours shot SIX the first two days.
Just like most people are saying they're broke and can't pay the bills, (that's me), others throw cash around like there is no tomorrow. For everyone that's broke another one is rich.....some eighties have no deer and others have plenty. What do they call it? .......the luck of the Irish !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:01 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
Humans have observed and studed wolves for a long time and wolves that live in deer country consume about 15-20 deer per wolf per year depending on what else is available. Take the higher figure of 20 x 500 wolves. Or you can take one of the wildly exagerated wolf numbers. Either way wolves have little impact on deer numbers and in fact they usually genetically enhance the population by leaving the fastest, strongest, and those with the best defense (big racks).

I think one reason you hear so much complaining is that the same disease of impatience and demand for immediate satifaction that has set in in other aspects of society has also spread into the current batch of deer hunters. In my dad's day and when I started hunting one went out while it was still dark in the morning and didn't come in until dark in the evening and that continued throughout the season. Now they set out a $1000 of deer cams, buy $200 of magic potions and feeds, go out for an hour, talk on their cell phone, and then go home and write a letter to the editor complaining about the DNR.

If people are going to insist on a guaranteed deer, then they can always go to a private game farm. Otherwise, enjoy the hunt and don't worry about the deer or the DNR. The Chequamegon-Nicolet and many other forests are having such problems from deer impacting regeneration that they could use a lot less deer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:38 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Nimble, did you say you work for the dnr ? ? Sure sounds like it ! :?

In other words we should go back to deer hunting the way it was in the 50's & 60's when you were happy if you saw a couple of deer all season.

Can't say I am willing to keep paying for a license with no hope of ever putting meat in the freezer. After all that is one of the reasons for hunting isn't it. If I just want to spend time out in the woods enjoying nature I can do that anytime and I don't need to waste my money on a license.

Quote:
Either way wolves have little impact on deer numbers and in fact they usually genetically enhance the population by leaving the fastest, strongest, and those with the best defense (big racks).

Right, and when the snow gets deep and the deer are yarded up they go around and check which one is the weakest before they kill it and bypass the others. Have you ever seen what a pack of wolves can do to a herd of deer in the winter. And they only eat what they want and leave the rest of the dead deer to rot or for the scavangers.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:02 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Gee, let's go back to the good old days of hunting. Oh, wait, the DNR actually gave out enough licenses a few years ago that my father and I could have shot something like 8 deer each.

I wonder what happened to all the deer...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:00 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hey Kelly, Just like the DNR to sell you licenses for deer that aren't there. I guess that's what they're best at.....selling licenses. Bring us the money Sonny !!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:31 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

A fellow walked into the dnr station in town and asked for a Moose license. The person at the counter replied that they couldn't sell them a Moose license because there are no Moose. The fellow answered, "I don't understand that, I was in last week and you sold me a Deer license and there aren't any Deer, what is the difference". :lol:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:15 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

It was interesting to watch the news tonight and see the dnr report on the deer kill for the area counties. Almost every county in the northern part of the state was down 50 to 60 % compared to last year.

I wonder if the dnr will finally admit that the herd is a lot smaller than they have said it was ?

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:12 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Nancy & I sure saw a lot of does around Lake alice at the end of September, but no bucks.

Liked the Thanksgiving prayer Catfish. No zzzzzz's there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I knew what the DNR excuse for the lower kill count was going to be by 9 AM Saturday morning. FOG. They're blaming it on the weather. I also still don't understand how being warm is a bad thing for the hunters, they're actually likely to be out longer when they aren't freezing...

I already heard one news report saying they'll have to do more next year to make up for the low kill count this year. Doubt they'll ever learn!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:22 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Fog and warm weather, that must be the answer ! :roll:

As I recall, back about seven years ago, 2002 if my mind isn't totaly gone, It was in the 50's and and foggy opening day and we had one of our best seasons. I passed on four small bucks a spike, 2 forks and a small 6 pt. before taking an 8 point about 9:00 am.

I must have been doing something wrong if I saw deer when it was that kind of weather. Wish the dnr would have told me sooner. :lol:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:42 am 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: Born and raised in Tomahawk, living in Colorado
I've got to get you folks to come hunt my neighborhood .................... in the city. I see at least a dozen mulies a day just wandering the cul de sac in two separate herds. A beautiful 5x5 buck is pushing one bunch of doe's and they aren't in any hurry to move on.
Feast in one state and famine in another

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

There are a ton of deer in the City of Tomahawk too. They can't get rid of enough of them there (DNR can't over kill where it doesn't control the hunting).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:02 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

The only place I worry about watching for deer when driving is between Hwy 86 and the paper mill on Hwy E. There are at least a Doz. or more living inside the fence by the mill and in the West Kraft area. Of course nobody hunts them there because of all the houses and the mill. Saw a real nice 8 point there this fall.
Guess I am going to have to buy an old beater truck and do my hunting with that as I go back a forth to town. :lol:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:30 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Minnesota hunters are saying much the same about the hunt in their state. One gentleman in particular told me weather conditions contributed to low numbers. My question was, don't you think the Minnesota DNR doesn't know anymore than the Wisconsin DNR when it comes to estimating herd size. His response was, my son is a MN DNR intern.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:01 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I guess that answered the question. He being trained by the dnr. The equivalent of having a frontal lobotomy ! ! :shock:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:22 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I found this to be interesting, finally someone at the state level willing to speak up for the hunters.

From the Chan. 12 Rhinlander web site.

A Central Wisconsin state senator wants conservation officials to fire anyone involved with deer management after hunters killed the fewest deer during Wisconsin's traditional November gun season.

Senate Majority Leader Russ Decker, a Weston Democrat, says the Department of Natural Resources' draconian herd control policies have devastated Wisconsin's deer population and left too many hunters empty-handed.

He says he's tired of the DNR's deer experts``jerking'' hunters around. According to preliminary figures, hunters killed about 195-thousand deer during the nine-day season that ended Sunday.

Numbers that are down 29-percent from last year. DNR officials had no immediate comment.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:29 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hey Catfish,

Is it true that the main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:15 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Certainly, other wise why would I want to wear a hot, itchy and uncomfortable suit like that. Come here woman......come sit on Santa's lap and tell me what you'd like for Christmas. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas Ho Ho Ho !!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:00 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Let's all be "opportunists".

Look for opportunities to help folks.

Merry Christmas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next