Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: parks in Lincoln county
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:58 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: Live in
With the various subjects about what to do in the parks and where to do it. I think we should make a list of parks in lincoln county. What made me think of this was when I was paging through a plat book and noticed a little tiny piece of land labled Lincoln county park. So what you might say, however this little piece of land is in the township of Somo. I never knew about that. I do live a shetered life however. I also recall someone once saying to me that there is city property on kings road that might also be a park.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:11 am 
Contributor
Contributor

If I remember correctly, the land in Somo was donated by the town to the county to create a park. Several former board members worked to clean up the area. As with a lot of things, a change of membership brought a change in focus. I don't know that anything has been done with it lately.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:35 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I think the park on Kings rd is known as Squa point, or something like that. Why does Tomahawk not promote this park.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:05 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Has anyone here gone camping up on the Willow? I'm planning my summer vacation and was looking for information. I found the standard dnr stuff online, but was looking for first hand opinions.

Thank you,

me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:15 pm 

Asterix,
Here's a couple suggestions I have about camping on the Willow. The first is to make sure you get there early if you plan on camping out during a holiday or the opening fishing weekend, as the remote campsites fill up quickly on these weekends considering they are free. You might also want to strongly consider a trip earlier in the summer to avoid horseflies and low water levels. Last year there was a lot of wood ticks, so you'll want to be prepared as best you can in case this happens again. The campsites have fire pits, and sometimes DNR staff will stock wood to burn by the shore - which can also help you locate a spot. Take a Willow map showing campsites (as the site you want might be filled) and stick to one shoreline if its your first time on the water - the sites can be tricky to find and are only marked with a small sign. Outside bathroom facilities are available at each campsite, but make sure not to forget toilet paper, otherwise you'll be coming off the Willow missing a sleeve. Practice no-trace camping procedures so the next person to use the site has the same enjoyment you had while visiting.
I'd strongly recommend taking along some beach chairs, as the shoreline is mostly sand, and an evening spent with your toes buried while watching the sun set is a truly priceless experience - try to secure a campsite that has a good view. There's also no light pollution, so star gazing can be amazing on a dark and clear night.
If you plan on doing any fishing take along Gulp bait instead of live bait, as it has produced fish for me and will last much longer if you plan on being out for an extended period of time. A lot of people also troll out here.
These are just a few suggestions that come to the top of my head that can make your trip more enjoyable. There's also a modern campsite on the north end in case you don't plan to stay at the remote sites.
If I don't recall, I also had reception through Alltel the last time I was out on the Willow. My final suggestions is to leave your phone off at all times, but have it along in case you run into an emergency.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:50 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Does anyone here know anything about Tug lake in Irma?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:51 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

What do you want to know about Tug Lake?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:07 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Is there a place to go camping there and if there is how close or private are the sites.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:53 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

There isn't any camping at Tug Lake. It has a wonderful public beach and park but no camping. Great place to picnic or have a gathering. Bathrooms and wonderful water well with hand pump. That water is awesum. Just down the road on Tug Lake Avenue, going west brings you to 107 along the Wisconsin River. When you get to 107 turn left going south. There will be "Newwood County Park" on the right a few miles down. Excellant camping right on the river. Private sites and no charge. Each site has a fire ring and picnic table. Nice flat ground for tent or leveling a camper. Check it out. There are two entrances off 107, one to the camping and one to the park.