bears

Forum for discussions about Tomahawk and the Northwoods.
asterix
Typical Poster
Typical Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: Live in

bears

Postby asterix » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:50 am

I heard a rumor that someone and their dog were attacked by a bear in Tomahawk. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Re: bears

Postby Old Scout » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:44 pm

Don't know all the details, but it is true. Happened out in the Skanawan area. No serious injuries from what I heard.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

deebug
General User
General User
Tie to Tomahawk: Been coming to Tomahawk since 1948 until settling in area in 1958

Postby deebug » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:18 pm

From what I understand the dog was barking etc. at the bear which of course aggrivated the bear. I believe the dog required medical attention but the woman was scratched trying to rescue the dog. Would hardly call it a bear attack as the woman did not require hospitalization and was released right away. One good swipe with a bear paw and one would be in serious trouble so I dont think she was really what you call attacked.

deebug
General User
General User
Tie to Tomahawk: Been coming to Tomahawk since 1948 until settling in area in 1958

Postby deebug » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:40 pm

Just talked to the lady who had the bear problem. I wanted to hear the story right from the horses mouth so they say. She was on her ATV with her two dogs who were running with her. One dog was in the brush with a ball in its mouth when the bear come out and stood on hind legs. The dog did NOT bark at the bear. The bear went after one dog (the other was told to sit and stay which it did) and the lady could hear the dog in
distress. She went after the bear and it did claw at her but not too seriously but enough for medical treatment and a series of rabies shots. The dog also had to have medical treatment and apparently okay. She managed to chase the bear off and it did stand up a few times. It has a white spot on its chest. This was reported to the DNR but they have not contacted the woman as of today which surprised me. This happened around noon or a little before. She saw no cubs anyway or anything that should have provoked the bear enough for this attack. I could see scabs on her arms. I really thought the DNR would be there immediately. At one time she fell to the ground and the bear was over her. She is one lucky woman if you ask me.

Return to “Tomahawk and the Northwoods”