Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:44 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Hey Catfish...good to hear from you. "Getting a bite", eh ? From one of those famous Wisconsin mosquitoes :lol:

Don't be such a stranger...or at least any stranger than you already are. We miss your wry ATTEMPT at humor and logic :wink:

p.s. I agree wholeheartedly that we should all be donors. Heck, when the donning time comes we don't need all that stuff anyway...just extra weight. Maybe someone can make better use of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:28 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
All right Catfish! It's great to hear that you're back to harassing the Perch & Bluegills. Any "good" jokes you want to share?

I definitely agree with your organ donor post. I have the donor tag on my drivers license. When I die my soul won't need those things.

Another good cause to support is the Bone Marrow Donor registry.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:23 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Ken you're right about those mosquitos. This year the no-see-ums are terrible. They come in thru the screens and bite.
Strange hah? You ain't seen nothing yet. You have no idea how restrained I am on my crazy posts. Just remember it is a sick world and I am a happy guy.
Jeff, I'm on my way out the door right now for Church so for the time being you'll have to wait for another of my jokes. One does come to mind right now but there is no way I want to go there on Sunday morning right before Church. Even for me, it would be wrong. I'll rustle up a couple from my memory bank and get back later. But not that one. I think it's hilarious, but Ken would freak on strange big time. Gots to go, I am all shined and shaved and out the door.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:28 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Do I have any more jokes Jeff asks. Well I first want to say that yesterday, Sunday, the plan was to go fishing towards Rhinelander. About noon It was raining pretty steady and it seemed like we werent't going to go. I was as depressed as a Keebler Elf being demoted to 'fudge packer'. Along about 2-2:30 the sky started clearing and we packed up and left for Rhinelander. We caught about 15 assorted bass (rock-smallmouth and large mouth) we threw them all back in. We caught 25 keeper blue gills, a few perch, and three northern. We fished for about 5 hours. While fishing something was banging on the hull going tap tap, tap tap? My buddy looked over the side and saw a bottle floating there banging on the hull. He grabbed it and opened it. A Genie popped out and said any one wish would be granted so, being it was really hot, buddy said he wished the whole lake was filled with ice cold beer. And sure enough, bam, the wish was granted and I really became upset and angry at my buddy for wishing that. He couldn't figure out why I was upset. I said way to go dummy, now we have to pee in the boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:32 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Catfish....trughfully now...where in the heck do you get your material??? You must be related to Jonathan Winters :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:41 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Ken you were wondering where I get my material.....whoops.....I bumped the table..TILT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:04 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

It's good to have you back Catfish. (I hope the lake was filled with a nice, chewy dark beer!)

I would have been here earlier tonight, but our power just came back on about 2 hours after ANOTHER thunderstorm. I was taking trips to the basement to bail the sump pit until the "juice" was restored. A generator or a battery-powered back up sump pump may be on my shopping list soon.

I know Tomahawk, Lake Nokomis especially, has benefited greatly from all the rain in July. But we sure don't need any more around here! We have Little Lake Boettcher in our backyard & more rain predicted for Thursday night.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:17 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
I would definitly recomend a back-up generator. If it keeps the basement from flooding one time it is money well spent.

Have you ever considered planting fish in your back yard pond ? Think how handy that would be when you are in the mood for a fish dinner. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:34 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

And roast duck! one yesr during a high rain period we had a very confused Mallard paying a visit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:12 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

A Speech Every American High School Principal Should Give

If every school principal gave this speech at the beginning of the next school year, America would be a better place.

To the students and faculty of our high school:

I am your new principal, and honored to be so. There is no greater calling than to teach young people.

I would like to apprise you of some important changes coming to our school. I am making these changes because I am convinced that most of the ideas that have dominated public education in America have worked against you, against your teachers and against our country.

First, this school will no longer honor race or ethnicity. I could not care less if your racial makeup is black, brown, red, yellow or white. I could not care less if your origins are African, Latin American, Asian or European, or if your ancestors arrived here on the Mayflower or on slave ships.

The only identity I care about, the only one this school will recognize, is your individual identity -- your character, your scholarship, your humanity. And the only national identity this school will care about is American. This is an American public school, and American public schools were created to make better Americans.

If you wish to affirm an ethnic, racial or religious identity through school, you will have to go elsewhere. We will end all ethnicity-, race- and non-American nationality-based celebrations. They undermine the motto of America, one of its three central values -- e pluribus unum, "from many, one." And this school will be guided by America's values.

This includes all after-school clubs. I will not authorize clubs that divide students based on any identities. This includes race, language, religion, sexual orientation or whatever else may become in vogue in a society divided by political correctness.

Your clubs will be based on interests and passions, not blood, ethnic, racial or other physically defined ties. Those clubs just cultivate narcissism -- an unhealthy preoccupation with the self -- while the purpose of education is to get you to think beyond yourself. So we will have clubs that transport you to the wonders and glories of art, music, astronomy, languages you do not already speak, carpentry and more. If the only extracurricular activities you can imagine being interesting in are those based on ethnic, racial or sexual identity, that means that little outside of yourself really interests you.

Second, I am uninterested in whether English is your native language. My only interest in terms of language is that you leave this school speaking and writing English as fluently as possible. The English language has united America's citizens for over 200 years, and it will unite us at this school. It is one of the indispensable reasons this country of immigrants has always come to be one country. And if you leave this school without excellent English language skills, I would be remiss in my duty to ensure that you will be prepared to successfully compete in the American job market. We will learn other languages here -- it is deplorable that most Americans only speak English -- but if you want classes taught in your native language rather than in English, this is not your school.

Third, because I regard learning as a sacred endeavor, everything in this school will reflect learning's elevated status. This means, among other things, that you and your teachers will dress accordingly. Many people in our society dress more formally for Hollywood events than for church or school. These people have their priorities backward. Therefore, there will be a formal dress code at this school.

Fourth, no obscene language will be tolerated anywhere on this school's property -- whether in class, in the hallways or at athletic events. If you can't speak without using the f-word, you can't speak. By obscene language I mean the words banned by the Federal Communications Commission, plus epithets such as "Nigger," even when used by one black student to address another black, or "*****," even when addressed by a girl to a girlfriend. It is my intent that by the time you leave this school, you will be among the few your age to instinctively distinguish between the elevated and the degraded, the holy and the obscene.

Fifth, we will end all self-esteem programs. In this school, self-esteem will be attained in only one way -- the way people attained it until decided otherwise a generation ago -- by earning it. One immediate consequence is that there will be one valedictorian, not eight.

Sixth, and last, I am reorienting the school toward academics and away from politics and propaganda. No more time will devoted to scaring you about smoking and caffeine, or terrifying you about sexual harassment or global warming. No more semesters will be devoted to condom wearing and teaching you to regard sexual relations as only or primarily a health issue. There will be no more attempts to convince you that you are a victim because you are not white, or not male, or not heterosexual or not Christian. We will have failed if any one of you graduates this school and does not consider him or herself inordinately lucky -- to be alive and to be an American.

Now, please stand and join me in the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of our country. As many of you do not know the words, your teachers will hand them out to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:19 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Many citizens would be happy to say the Pledge of Allegiance except for the fact that religious fanatics inserted their god propaganda into it in 1954. They like to use the power of the government to inflict their beliefs on others when they can. Hopefully, we will someday go back to a Pledge for all Americans.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

What utter nonsense you spew. How sad as well. You don't want to say the pledge allegiance because of God "propaganda" but yet you use our money that says "In God We Trust". So you can throw away that propaganda money and don't you use it anymore. Throw it my way you hypocrite. Shame on you for denying God.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:01 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Mystic, do you believe in God at all? We were always taught that you always capitolize "God", or anybodys name. Your name is a proper noun.

What about it others? Is someone that denounces the Pledge of Allegiance because of God being mentioned in it, but STILL WILL USE currency with "In God We Trust" emblazened on it a hypocrite?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:46 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Worse than a hypocrite !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:49 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I believe in the Christian version of God. I believe that our Founding Fathers of this country did as well.

Freedom of religion is a standard of our gov't. Each religion has a God. Atheists, consider a prayer to what standards you hold in your heart & call that your God.

When I say the Pledge or spend the money I have earned, I will be thinking of my country & my God. When you say the Pledge & spend your money, think of your God.

While I believe my God is the correct God, I'll respect your right to hold a different view. Please do the same for me. We'll find out who is right after we die.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:35 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Amen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:12 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Don't want anyone revealingthe location their "secret Patch", but how is the Blackberry crop this year in the Tomahawk area??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:24 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Blackberries are huge and plentiful this year all over.
I picked a pint in a couple of minutes at the boat landing over by the mill, right next to the ramp while my buddy dropped the boat in. My woods is filled with them as well. Funny thing this year tho, everything is happening at once. When were the apples ready to be picked at the same time as the berries? Those apples are really early this year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:16 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
Catfish wrote:
What utter nonsense you spew. How sad as well. You don't want to say the pledge allegiance because of God "propaganda" but yet you use our money that says "In God We Trust". So you can throw away that propaganda money and don't you use it anymore. Throw it my way you hypocrite. Shame on you for denying God.

Why throw the money away? I just erase the "god" from the back. An ink eraser takes it right off. Historically this concession to superstition on our paper money is a recent assault on reason coming to us in 1957 on our paper money during the McCarthy communist witch hunt.

It is not strange that Christians would place such an oath on what their mythology considers the source of all evil?

King James Bible 1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:31 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Catfish wrote:
Mystic, do you believe in God at all? We were always taught that you always capitolize "God", or anybodys name. Your name is a proper noun.

Not that it makes a spit of difference in the big scheme of things, but his capitalization is correct. He was not referring to a specific god, therefore "god". However, you wouldn't be the first Christian to take offense assuming that it is a disrespectful act.

"Walk with God." - Implies specificity, capitalized.

"Proud like a god." - Non-specific, no capitalization.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:18 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

No No, he was referring to a specific god. The one that is on our money. That's the one he was referring to. When we put "In God We Trust" on our money, which one do you think we were talking about? Still shameful.
You know, if you believe that God is our Father and in the end it turns out to be alot of 'hocus pokus', you probably lived your life as a good person and then you die. If it was indeed hocus pokus you lived a good life and you didn't lose anything. But on the other hand if there truly is God our Father and you denied him all your life, then you are screwed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:08 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Catfish wrote:
No No, he was referring to a specific god. The one that is on our money. That's the one he was referring to. When we put "In God We Trust" on our money, which one do you think we were talking about? Still shameful.
You know, if you believe that God is our Father and in the end it turns out to be alot of 'hocus pokus', you probably lived your life as a good person and then you die. If it was indeed hocus pokus you lived a good life and you didn't lose anything. But on the other hand if there truly is God our Father and you denied him all your life, then you are screwed.

Virtually all the words on our money are capitalized. The only god referred to for example in the Declaration is the god of nature so I suppose that is the one referrd to. God is not mentioned in the constitution and the pledge of allegiance is a secular non founding document from 1892 and since modified four times, the last time in 1954 when the controversial "under god" wording was inserted. Any version may be used if desired.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:33 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Just finished reading a really good book called "Envy the Night" by Michael Koryta. It is set in Tomahawk and much of it takes place on and around the willow flowage. It involves a former hit mans son, a gangster and a local fishing and hunting guide as well as some Tomahawk residents (fictional of course, no real names are used). I won't spoil the story for you by giving you more details. I highly recomend it as it is well written and one of those books that once you start you don't want to put it down.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:45 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Interesting!

http://chippewa.com/news/local/article_ ... 03286.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:07 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Catfish wrote:
You know, if you believe that God is our Father and in the end it turns out to be alot of 'hocus pokus', you probably lived your life as a good person and then you die. If it was indeed hocus pokus you lived a good life and you didn't lose anything.

Unfortunately, some people believe that if they are regular churchgoers, the "living life as a good person" part doesn't matter. Belief in any god and living a good life are two mutually exclusive conditions. Religion should be taken seriously and not used as a "Get Out of Jail Free" card. Some don't see it that way and I'll bet that most anyone has experienced someone who lived as if religion was an advance token to heaven.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next