Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Election letters
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:47 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I would like to take this opportunity to let you know about your sheriff. Jeff Jaeger was born and raised in Lincoln County and has spent his entire life here working and raising his family. He and his wife Tracey operate a small farm developed to the care of rescued and abused horses. He is a very caring and compassionate man that has devoted his life to protecting his community and the people who live here.

After serving in the Wisconsin National Guard, he joined the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department in 1980. During his time, Jeff worked in all positions in the department from dispatcher to sheriff. Jeff was promoted to the rank of lieutenant in 1998 and worked very hard fulfilling the needs of the position. Day after day he showed the leadership ability that is needed to operate a shift in a Sheriff’s Department. Jeff was one of Lincoln County’s first DARE officers, a position he held for 13 years and went on to coordinate the program as a lieutenant. He continues to strongly support this program. Jeff also served on the Lincoln County Special Response Team (SWAT) for 14 years until elected sheriff. He continues to work tirelessly alongside his people in order to better serve you the public. Jeff has worked hard all those years learning about Lincoln County and you the citizens. He knows what you want. He had been there for you whenever you needed him.

Four years ago Lincoln County elected Jeff Jaeger as their sheriff. A very wise decision. Let us re-elect Sheriff Jeff Jaeger to another term, and keep a very qualified and caring individual as sheriff of Lincoln County. I know I will vote on Sept. 14 for Jeff Jaeger, Sheriff for Lincoln County.

Paul C. Proulx
Retired Sheriff of Lincoln County
Merrill

Post subject: Re: Election letters
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:47 am 
Administrator
Administrator

To the Editor:

We have two very good candidates for the 35th District of the State Assembly. The following reasons make me feel that Tom Tiffany is a superior caliber candidate for that office.
Consider his dedication as a local small business owner. As a town board member and businessman he has dealt with the responsibilities of cost control, budgeting and working/communicating with the public. This experience will serve us well as he calls for fiscal responsibility in Madison.
Tom Tiffany is the right person to exercise the experience he has to move our district and state forward with our interests in mind. We trust Tom Tiffany!

Please get out and vote

Ed and Sally Nyberg
Tomahawk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

To the people of the 35th district:

Thank you for the opportunity to represent the 35th district to the State Assembly. It has been a wonderful experience full of challenges and opportunities for personal growth. Over the last ten years I have certainly learned a lot about how our state government works and in some cases doesn’t work, that’s why when I decided to not seek a 6th term in office I approached Jeremy Cordova to run for the 35th Assembly seat.

The issues facing the 35th district are complex and it will take someone with good reasoning and problem solving skills to address those issues. I believe Jeremy Cordova has the skills and background necessary to get the job done.

I have had the opportunity over the last several years to work with Jeremy Cordova on the Merrill Chamber of Commerce legislative committee, during that time I could tell Jeremy had a good understanding of the issues facing the state and how they would impact the 35th district. During our many conversations Jeremy offered solutions and suggestions on legislation being considered, I found his reasoning to be sound and based in common sense.

I am pleased to be able to endorse Jeremy Cordova to the people of the 35th district for their next representative to the state Assembly.

Sincerely
Donald R. Friske
State Representative
35th district
Merrill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:49 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Dear Editor:

As a locally elected official, I want a state representative that understands the concerns of local government. That is why I am actively supporting Tom Tiffany to represent us in the state legislature.
Over the last year a group of us towns, including the Town of Little Rice where Tiffany is a supervisor, have banded together to demand accountability from agencies like the DNR. Tom has always come prepared to our meetings. He is always cordial but clearly takes his commitment to represent his constituents seriously.

People in the Nokomis area know I have been fighting against excessive red tape for the last decade. Having watched Tom’s work in our neighboring town, Little Rice, I believe he will be a strong voice looking out for local control.

In previous elections, it always concerned me that Tom had very little local government experience – experience that is necessary to fully understand the impact of actions by state government. Having seen him work for the people of Little Rice the last couple years, I can say with confidence, Tom Tiffany will represent us well in Madison.

Gary Baier
Tomahawk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:50 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Dear Editor,
William A Ward said, “Study while others are sleeping; work while others are loafing; prepare while others are playing; and dream while others are wishing.” This statement is a description of what it takes to lead. It takes discipline and a plan of action against the status quo. This is what I see in Jeremy Cordova who is running for State Assembly here in the 35th district.

I first met Jeremy where I work as he is my employer, therefore, I have firsthand experience of his work ethic and his family values. What struck me is that he is continually educating himself by reading books and seeking sources of information outside of the mainstream media. He has been and remains to be a humble student, which is the first level of leadership.

The second level of leadership is performing. Jeremy is not one to lay back. His livelihood and his ability to provide for his wife and two children depend on his activity level. He sits across the table from his clients and works diligently to help them meet their needs. Working with people does not come without the occasional problem, in my time working with Jeremy he treats every client as he would wish to be treated and I know that is how he will act as a legislator for everyone in this district. Jeremy is also involved with many other organizations in Merrill, from being the current president of the Merrill Chamber to Rotary and other boards and sportsman’s organizations. While others play, he has, and remains to be, active in the community.

Lastly, nothing happens without a dream. We have some serious issues in our country today, at all levels. The “American Dream” is slipping away quickly due to a lack of knowledge regarding the meaning of our founding documents and a lack of leadership from our elected representatives. Jeremy's dream of this country is that of our founding fathers. The full size replica of the Declaration of Independence which hangs on his office wall is a constant reminder of his understanding of this precious gift. He's never run for public office before, but has decided to now because he can no longer sit on the sidelines as our rights are ripped away from us almost daily, wishing someone else will change it. He understands what's at stake and I know him to be a man of character and integrity who will hold to his word. He has family, friends, acquaintances and clients in most every area of the 35th District, therefore, he is highly invested in the community he would be proud to serve.

Please go out and vote in the primary election on Sept. 14. My vote, and I hope your vote, will be for Jeremy Cordova.

Sincerely,
Karen Cournaya
Merrill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:50 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Even though you have only one vote this fall to show your preference for state assembly it is still a very important vote. Our state, like many others, is in a financial bind due to decreased revenues which is a direct result of our stagnant economy. The unwillingness of our legislators to set priorities to control spending has exacerbated the problem of a stagnant economy.

We need a legislator that is a fiscal conservative willing to make tough decisions for the betterment of the state and our northern Wisconsin residents. This person must be honest with those who live in the Northwoods, always looking out for their well-being.

Our new legislator must be able to handle one-on-one conversations explaining in everyman terms why he makes the decisions he makes. Above all he must be accessible and willing to spend the time necessary to properly represent the Northwoods.

We have known and supported such a hardworking, honest man for many years and he deserves your support this fall. His name is Tom Tiffany.

Bill and Nanette Young
Harshaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:52 am 
Administrator
Administrator

As election time draws near I notice numerous signs popping up throughout the community. I have taken interest in one position in particular and that is for the Lincoln County sheriff.
Sheriff Jeff Jaeger has been a positive influence on his office and the community as a whole. He has dedicated the past four years to make the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office an agency this community can trust and believe in. When he took office four years ago he implemented a new mission statement and a set of core values that he emphasizes on a daily basis. He has brought members of the sheriff’s office together and encouraged a strong team effort and commitment to making this community a safer place to live.

Drugs are a concern in our community much like any other community. Sheriff Jaeger has taken a stand to fight the drug war in our community. As a result there has been a 100% increase in arrests related to drug usage since he took office. There have been 10 federal indictments for felony drug charges in the past nine months. In an effort to deter future drug involvement from our youth, Sheriff Jaeger is a strong advocate of the DARE program which he remains active with through guidance and support of his DARE officers. He was instrumental in seizing a vehicle which was converted into a DARE car now used as a message to the youth of this community what can happen if you get involved in drugs.
Sheriff Jaeger implemented a case tracking system for all criminal cases to ensure each case is properly followed through the system. By implementing this system ensures victims are not forgotten about and it dramatically increases the chances of making an arrest in cases that require it. In fact the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office has seen an increase of 50% in case resolution according to the State Crime Information Bureau.

Budgets are on everyone’s mind and Sheriff Jaeger takes his budget seriously. He constantly strives to find ways to control costs and generate revenue for the county. He recently negotiated contracts with both Marathon and Portage counties to house their overflow of inmates. As a result, the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office anticipates a revenue increase of more than $1 million over the next two years. He has also contracted inmate meals from a private vendor which will save more than $50,000 per year in food costs. In addition Sheriff Jaeger has implemented Title 19 medical billing procedures which reduces costs and has saved the county about $102,000 since its conception. A $25 booking fee was enacted by Sheriff Jaeger for sentenced inmates which has netted the county more than $20,000 to date.
For the reasons stated and many others, I strongly support Sheriff Jaeger in the upcoming election. If you as a citizen are concerned about budgets, crime reduction and having a sheriff’s office you can believe in please vote for Sheriff Jeff Jaeger.

Tim Fischer
Merrill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Dear Editor:
In 2008 we supported Tom Tiffany when he ran for State Senate. The main reason we supported him was his call for fiscal responsibility in Madison.

Like us, a majority of the voters in Lincoln County also voted for Tom in 2008. Tom would have never voted for the “Harley tax” or stuck us with a tax on our utility bills to pay for district attorneys if he was in office. We encourage you to vote for Tom Tiffany this fall to be our state representative because unlike some politicians, he has not changed his platform of fiscal responsibility, stopping tax increases and reforming the Madison bureaucracy, including the DNR. Wouldn’t it be nice to have someone who is an advocate for taxpayers?

Now is the time to elect a representative that understands job creation starts by having a state government that spends within our means and reduces the red tap strangling job creators. Tom’s background as a small businessman and a locally elected official will serve us well in Madison. Vote Tom Tiffany on Sept. 14 and Nov. 2.

Bob and Rose Marie Koth
Tomahawk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:54 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Lincoln County citizens,

As campaign signs are emerging on lawns and private property of candidate supporters. You may not gain much insight as to who these candidates are and what they stand for, if you don’t already know them.

I support Jeff Jaeger for sheriff both personally and professionally and I want to share with you the reasons for my strong commitment to Jeff Jaeger. Jeff is seeking a second term as Lincoln County’s sheriff as many of you know. Jeff has numerous attributes he brings to the office of the sheriff; he has a passion for upholding the Constitution and the rights of the American people, while he provides an inspiration of leadership and professionalism for future sheriffs and the deputy sheriffs serving this community. Jeff has developed interdepartmental relations and community partners which have led to an unprecedented increase in drug and other criminal arrests.

Sheriff Jaeger has focused on our agency, both from a fiscal standpoint and how that impacts our community, along with the overall efficiency of agency operations, with an emphasis on maintaining a safe community and providing a reliable and honorable service to the citizens of Lincoln County.
It is without reservation that I commend Sheriff Jaeger for his decision to continue to provide this outstanding service as Lincoln County sheriff for the professional agency that he continues to develop. Thank you Jeff for your persistence, courage and sincerity in helping us become who we are!
Vote Jeff Jaeger for Lincoln County sheriff.

Nathan Walrath
Merrill