Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:20 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: my cottage and hunting camp
Spambot: No
If you are a pet owner / dog walker / bird hunter please familiarize yourself with removing a pet or hunting dog from a trap. There is a great brochure put out by the Linclon co. humane society on this subject and I'll add the link to their PDF here:

http://www.furrypets.com/pets/images/documents/RemoveDogFromTrap.pdf

No matter your views on trapping this is info that every dog owner should know. Todays foot-hold restraint traps are not damaging to animals, do not have "teeth", and are not inhumane in anyway. We all share the woods and trappers are a part of this. I have had to do this and I encourage everyone to read it. If your dog is caught there is no reason to panic..everything will be fine.

If you do read the link, please note that wisconsin has several laws that virtually eliminate all dog encouters with "conibear" traps and wisconsin also has outlawed any locking devices on "snares." Our state has gone a long way to keep dogs safe, we have more stringent laws than most other states.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:00 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
Of course if you put the animal on a leash as is required in the city of Tomahawk, this is a moot point.

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:14 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Vacation Home in Area
Thanks River Rat for posting this info. Hope to never need it but when out grouse hunting you never know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:25 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: Live in
Putting your dog on a leash in the city of tomahawk is a moot point. WTF. I didn't think that you could bird hunt in the city of tomahawk. I don't think that the city has a leash law, I could be wrong about the leash law though. I think that you just have to have your animal under control. I think this is more intended for people that bird hunt or walk your dog in the woods where it is more common to not have your animal on a leash. Are you supposed to have your animal on a leash and swim beside them when they retrieve a bird from the water. Tell me, when rescue workers go out in the woods for a rescue do they have there dogs on a leash. It would be very easy for there dog to get caught in a trap where they are unfamilier with the land or land owner.

Please don't be ignorant.

Last edited by asterix on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:28 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I am not familier with trapping laws, can somebody help me out and tell us if it is even legal to trap in the city or county land. I truely do not know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:48 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: my cottage and hunting camp
You are correct, I posted this for people who walk dogs or hunt in the woods, not with-in the city.

The only traps that should be used around a populated area would be small cage traps for the removal and release of animals causing damage, like skunks, porkypines, or squirrells.

Yes, all county land (and state land) are open to trapping.

To clarify: In most cases hounds assisting in a rescue are on a leash.

You are also correct that the city does not have a "leash law", your pet must be "under your controll" so you can legally walk your dog without a leash if it's under your controll. I'll resist the temptation to comment on that.

Please read the Humane Society's PDF that I linked in the original post. It is valuble information if you travel or hunt in the woods with a dog.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:28 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

If I had to guess, I would say that medic is just frustrated by a lack of responsible pet owners in his area. Sometimes frustration is enough to put a person over the edge. We all have our moments.