Lincoln County offering warming shelters during winter months
Oneida, Vilas County locations opened as needed
FOR THE TOMAHAWK LEADER
LINCOLN COUNTY – With colder weather sure to make its way to the Northwoods before spring, the Lincoln County Health Department and Lincoln County Emergency Management are reminding citizens of the locations of warming shelters located in the county. A warming center is a heated facility where Lincoln County residents are invited to get relief from extreme cold during their normal business hours.
Tomahawk locations, contact information and hours:
- Ascension Sacred Heart Hospital, 401 W. Mohawk Dr., Tomahawk. Phone: 715-453-7700. Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Our Sisters’ House, 328 E. Washington Ave., Tomahawk. Phone: 715-224-3520. Open 7 days a week from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Tomahawk Public Library, 300 W. Lincoln Ave., Tomahawk. Phone: 715-453-2455. Open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Tomahawk Senior Center, 113 S. Tomahawk Ave., Tomahawk. Phone: 715-453-5757. Open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Merrill locations, contact information and hours:
- Ascension Good Samaritan Hospital, 601 S. Center Ave., Merrill. Phone: 715-536-5511. Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Les and Jim’s Lincoln Lanes, 1208 N. Center Ave., Merrill. Phone: 715-536-9405. Open Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Friday from 11 a.m. to 12 a.m.; Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12 a.m.; and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Merrill Enrichment Center, 303 N. Sales St., Merrill. Phone: 715-536-4226. Open Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; and Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Smith Multi-Purpose Center (MARC), 1100 Marc Dr. Merrill. Phone: 715-536-6187. Open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- T.B. Scott Library, 106 1st St., Merrill. Phone: 715-536-7191. Open Monday through Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Warming centers in Oneida and Vilas counties are opened as needed. Price County does not offer any formal warming centers.
Cold weather tips:
- Minimize outside activities, particularly the elderly and very young.
- Dress in layers. Excessive exposure can lead to frostbite.
- Do not leave pets outside during cold weather events.
- Know the warning signs of hypothermia, such as uncontrollable shivering and disorientation.
- Be safe with heat sources, especially when using alternate heating sources.
- Seal off unused rooms.
- Add extra insulation to water pipes or allow a trickle of water to run to keep pipes from freezing that have in the past.
- Be a good neighbor. Check in with elderly or disabled relatives and neighbors to ensure they are safe.
For more information about warming centers and cold weather safety, contact the Lincoln County Health Department at 715-536-0307, Lincoln County Emergency Management at 715-536-6228, or visit readylincoln.org.