Free tax assistance offered by AARP at Tomahawk Senior Center
FOR THE TOMAHAWK LEADER
TOMAHAWK – Free Income Tax assistance is available for Tomahawk area residents starting Feb. 3 and continuing through April 13. The tax counseling service is offered on Mondays from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to noon at the Tomahawk Senior Center, 113 S. Tomahawk Ave., Tomahawk.
The service is provided by the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) Foundation and is available to people with low to moderate income, with special attention given to those over the age of 60.
Tax counseling services are offered free of charge by volunteer Tax Aides trained by the IRS and AARP to assist in tax preparation. The services rendered will include preparation of your 2019 Federal and Wisconsin tax returns and, if applicable, the Wisconsin Homestead Credit.
To qualify for Homestead Credit, you must be 52 or older if you have no earned income. For those under age 62, you must have earned income to qualify for Homestead Credit.
To speed up refunds or receipts of Homestead Credit, electronic filing of your return is offered at no charge.
People intending to use the service will need to bring the following items as appropriate:
- A picture ID
- Social Security card
- Copies of last year’s 2018 Federal and State returns (if you filed)
- 2019 W2s, 1099s, and any other tax-related or income documents (i.e. interest and dividend statements, IRA withdrawals, etc.)
- Supplemental Social Security income statements
- Information showing any stock trades
- Information to support any itemized deductions
- Copy of your two latest years of property tax, and if filing for Homestead Credit, include an error-free rent certificate signed by your landlord if you are renting
- Bring a copy of your 2018 property tax bill, even if you paid the tax in 2019
- Know the dollar amount you paid for our Supplemental Medical Insurance and your Medicare Part D Drug Insurance
- State Unemployment Summary (most get online)