WIAA delays decision on spring sports
By Jed Buelow
Tomahawk Leader Co-Editor, Sports and Nature Editor
In adjusting to a new era of coronavirus pandemic, the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association met last week and agreed to delay making a determination on the continuation or cancellation of spring sports and tournaments.
Responding to a report by the chair of the WIAA Sports Medical Advisory Committee, the Board also exercised authority to make emergency decisions by the membership’s Constitution to cancel the Annual Meeting scheduled for April 22. The decision was in response to the concern and efforts to prevent the spread of the infectious disease COVID-19.
Following a lengthy discussion, the board decided to postpone a decision on whether to cancel the spring sports season and will continue to follow the directives and guidance of state health and governmental officials pertaining to the outbreak.
The first cancellation of the Hatchet spring sport season was on Friday, March 20. The Tomahawk co-ed track and field team was scheduled to host a 12-team invite at UW-Eau Claire that was cancelled as a result of the pandemic. Games scheduled for Hatchet baseball, softball and golf have also have also been cancelled or postponed through at least the middle of April.