Woman injured, dog dead following Town of Pine River fire
FOR THE TOMAHAWK LEADER
TOWN OF PINE RIVER – A woman was injured and a dog is dead after a structure fire in the Town of Pine River on Sunday, May 3.
According to the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office, a 911 call was received at approximately 4:47 p.m. reporting a grease fire in a residence on County Road P. Heavy smoke was observed when deputies arrived, and the first deputy on the scene attempted to extinguish the flames.
Per the investigation, the lone resident of the house was warming up grease when she went upstairs. When she returned to the kitchen, flames were climbing up the walls. She and several pets were able to escape the residence. One dog was unaccounted for after the blaze, but was later found by firefighters, who unsuccessfully tried to revive the dog.
The woman received moderate burns on her arms and was transported to Aspirus Wausau Hospital. County Road P was shut down for about an hour and a half.
The investigation is ongoing.
The Sheriff’s Office, fire departments from the towns of Pine River, Russell, Corning, Hewitt, and Texas, Merrill EMS and Wisconsin Public Service responded to the scene.