Nov. 3 referendum: School District of Tomahawk outlines details
Courtesy of the School District of Tomahawk
TOMAHAWK – On Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2020, the Tomahawk School Board adopted a resolution authorizing a vote on the following question to appear on the ballot for the November 3, 2020, election:
“Shall the School District of Tomahawk, Lincoln and Oneida Counties, Wisconsin be authorized to exceed the revenue limit specified in Section 121.91, Wisconsin Statutes, by $3,500,000 per year beginning with the 2021-2022 school year and ending with the 2024-2025 school year, for non-recurring purposes consisting of expenses for ongoing educational and facility needs?”
Tax impact on citizens
The “mill rate” is the rate at which property taxes are determined.
A property tax bill is comprised of four taxing authorities: City/Township, Lincoln and Oneida Counties, Nicolet Area Technical College and the School District of Tomahawk.
If passed, the referendum would increase the Tomahawk School District mill rate approximately $0.17 per thousand of assessed valuation. The estimated tax implication on the value of your house with a passed referendum would be: $100,000 home – $17.00; $200,000 home – $34.00 $300,000 home – $51.00.
The estimated mill rate for 2020-21 is $9.24 per thousand of equalized valuation. With an estimated $0.17 per thousand increase, the tax rate would average $9.41 per thousand.
How has the district reduced operating costs over the years?
- Joined a 14 District Consortium and Continue to bid out insurance
- Implemented a $2,000/$4,000 deductible HSA/HRA Health Insurance plan (Health Insurance costs are still $230,000 less than 2010)
- Reduced post-retirement benefits for certified staff: Estimated savings of $56,000 per retiree
- Outsourced food service to a private vendor
- Successful grant awards
- All employees pay half of their WI retirement contributions with an estimated savings of over $500,000 per year
- Share teachers between PK-12 Facility
Most recent staff reductions (since 2000)
- Assistant Principal – two positions
- Admin. Assistant – one position
- Business Office – one position
- Nurse – one position
- Maintenance – one position
- Librarian – two positions
- FACE & Tech. Ed. Teachers – two positions
- Art Teachers – two positions
- Business Ed. Teacher – one position
- German Teacher – one position
- Guidance Counselor – one position
- Piano Accompanist – one position
What will happen if the referendum fails?
If the referendum fails, the Tomahawk School District will have an average budget deficit of $3,929,097 million per year over the next four years, and some very difficult decisions will need to be made on how to balance the budget. All aspects of the district will be impacted.
For more information on the School District of Tomahawk’s upcoming referendum, visit www.tomahawk.k12.wi.us/district/referendum.cfm.