Home Forums Tomahawk Leader Message Board Tomahawk and the Northwoods Deer Trail Lodge or Red Arrow Lodge

This topic contains 29 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Agen QQ Online 2021 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

I don’t know a thing about the Deer Trail Lodge or Red Arrow Lodge. Were they 2 separate resorts or one with two different names? Also would anyone know if they had their own telephone switchboard? I was told by someone today that they have a telephone switchboard that came from a resort at Tomahawk. There are labels on the switchboard for different cabins..Minnow, Bluegill, Crappie, etc. Also for the dining room and the laundry. This person would like some info as to when this may have been used.

Mimi61

Deb,

Red Arrow was on the north side of Lake Alice, and Deer Trail was north not too far from Lake Nokomis, if I’m remembering correctly. They were definitely two different places. If I had to guess, the switchboard may have come from Red Arrow – it was much more fancy than most resorts in the area. Their rates included meals – the American Plan they used to call it. Can anyone else add more info here?

Thanks Mimi! That switchboard is not too far from me near Cadott.

Old Scout
    Participant

For some reason I keep thinking that Deertrail Lodge burned at one time like back in the 60’s or some where in that area. I remember being in there in the 80’s and it seemed like a newer building and was more of a bar and resturant. If there had been a switch board it would have probably been burned.

Red Arrow Lodge was just off of Hwy A near where Spring Creek Dr. goes north, about a mile west of the bridge. It was quit large with several cottages. Some of the cottages and I think the main building were burned a few years ago during the Tomahawk Fire School. It had been closed since the late 70’s and was just a private residence since. I believe the guy that owned it was named Morris. With the size of the place and the number of buildings that would be the likely place for the switch board.

Thanks for the additional info Old Scout. My acquaintance that currently has the switchboard was thinking of donating it to the Eau Claire area historical society. I mentioned that maybe the Tomahawk historical society might be interested in it. Apparently her children think it’s an interesting piece and have said they want it. She came by the switchboard from a gentleman in Rhinelander.

kmartell

I vaguely recall the Deertrail Lodge on Highway 51 just before the turnoff to Heafford Junction. Went to a prom dinner there in ~’62. I think it did burn down sometime around that time…

The Red Arrow Lodge…just the name rings a bell. I always thought the name was neat. No info though.

Old Scout
    Participant

Ken, you are thinking of Jim’s Logging camp. It was a very nice high end resturant built of logs. Big horseshoe bar, dance floor and a big dinning room. It was where the Junction resturant is now. It burned in 1963. I was at the same post prom party in 62 put on by the JCs. (that was a good time wasn’t it)

Deer Trail lodge was about a mile past Twin Bay on hwy L, (old 51) on the right side. It sat back off the road a little ways.

tooten

Red Arrow was West of the King Town Hall building on Hwy A. It was owned by a guy name Duane Crowell ( I’m not sure on the spelling for some reason I think his last name started with K). He was a resident of California as were many of Red Arrow’s guests including Roy Rogers and Dale Evans and their many adopted children. The place was an American Plan resort where food was served to guests in a main lodge. In addition to the Main buildings there were many residential rental cabins and a large residence. It also had a liquor license in fact after the lodge closed someone opened the bar and attempted to run it as a tavern for a few years until all the buildings were torn down. Crowell had several college age kids from all over the country working there in the summers. They worked as camp counselors, life guards, yard workers and wait staff at the lodge. They also resided on the lodge property during the tourist season. There where many docks and a swimming beach area of several hundred feet on Lake Alice. Red Arrow had a stable with several horses and many bridal paths in the woods to the East up to the area of South Pine Road. The entire property was several hundred acres. To the north of Hwy A and just east of the interstate highway Crowell owned some 500 continuous acres of fenced and posted farm land. Today there stands a lonesome glazed block silo where the farm buildings once stood. Another point of interest on that property is in the woods somewhere to the North of that silo was an old wooden MT & W RR passenger car that was used as hunting cabin or something. It probably has rotted completely or was destroyed during the construction of the interstate. It’s been at least 35 years since I saw it and it was falling apart back then.

I think that Morris fellow owned a piece of land East of the Red Arrow property and West of the properties on South Pine Road but I sure could be wrong about that. I know that his driveway was East of the Red Arrow drive and it had a large sign for a residential driveway stating “Morris” in orange letters.

Deer Trail was across from Arnott Trucking on old Hwy 51 (now Hwy L) and bordered on Lake Nikomis. The lodge building was huge as I recall. It burned in the late 1950s or early 1960s. Sometime after the original lodge burned Harvey Arnott acquired the property. A newer Night club building was built on the property and it also eventually burned down. The original “Deer Trail” sign over the entrance road stood for many years.

I think the big nightclub by Heafford Junction that Kmartell referred to was Jim’s Logging Camp it was at the old intersection of Hwy 51 and Hwy 8. It also burned about the same time. The only one of those old places still standing along that stretch of road is Phil’s (Bootlegger’s in present day terms).

kmartell

You guys are right… I was thinking of Jim’s Logging Camp πŸ˜•

Too much time living out here in La La Land πŸ˜†

Old Scout
    Participant

Time to come back to God’s country and leave la la land to the nuts and fruits ! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†

It is going to have the big one, one of these days and fall off into the pacific anyway ! ! πŸ˜†

kmartell

Old Scout…. Yeah, but every time I check the Message Board I see the Tomahawk temperature….right now it’s 45 and cloudy…I don’t know if I could handle it. The picture of all the snow in downtown last week scared the C*&p out of me. Showed it to a co-worker of mine and he didn’t believe it. I told him he ought to see it when it really snows….can’t find the car…heck, can’t find the buildings… 😯

But you know I love my home town !!!! My dream is to be on the lake in a patch of lily pads in July, 75 degrees and sunny, calm water, the bass hitting on the Injured Minnow, and some cold ones in a cooler.

Some day….. πŸ˜‰

p.s. Hey, do kids (or adults) still go out to Crystal Lake to swim like we did back in the ’50s ? Just curious…

tooten…great report on the two lodges…sorry for going off subject here…!!!

Old Scout
    Participant

p.s. Hey, do kids (or adults) still go out to Crystal Lake to swim like we did back in the ’50s ? Just curious…

It is still a public beach and probably hasn’t changed since the last time you were there. Same cement block changing rooms and long stairs from the parking lot to the beach.

They don’t use it for swimming classes anymore since they have the pool at the school and there is also a beach at SARA park (the west end of the old DNR runway). Most of the people in town go to SARA park but a lot of people on the north end and tourists still use Crystal Beach.

Catfish

With all this talk of the old Lodges I am wondering about a place we went to which I think was right off of 8, long driveway and several buildings and a home, but the bar was in an old barn , really fixed up cool with a big dance floor and bar, lots of seating. We saw the “Monroe Doctrine” play there outside. Us hippies back then were just a ‘groovin’. This I believe was the early 70’s.

Catfish could that have been the old Essex Lodge?
    Thanks to everyone about all the information. All indications point to the switchboard coming from the Red Arrow Lodge. I’ll will pass the info along to my acquaintance.

Old Scout
    Participant

Catfish, I think you are refering to the place called the “White Barn” that was on Hwy 8 just east of A. (old 51) In later years it was Redmond’s nursery. I seem to recall being in there once but that wasn’t my normal hangout and by the 70’s I was married and was starting to behave myself. (sort of) πŸ™‚

Mentioning Essex lodge, reminds me of the tradition of painting out the Es on the sign. Seemed like at least once a year someone just couldn’t resist. (No it wasn’t me !!) 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.