This topic contains 45 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  River Rat 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Old Scout
    Participant

There is a crane and so other equipment parked in the lot by the dam so they must plan on doing something. Maybe, or it might just be a decoy to keep us guessing.

KEN
    Participant

That`s good news!

Maybe The Leader can cover the progress, complete with photo`s.

There seems to be a lot of interest in the dam project.

KEN
    Participant

Postby Old Scout Β» 21 Mar 2017 12:43 am

There is a crane and so other equipment parked in the lot by the dam so they must plan on doing something

Any movement with the equipment? ❓

Old Scout
    Participant

Nothing has moved up to this weekend. Might be waiting until the ice is off.

mrbrowns

Will be talking with WVIC next week for an article for the Tomahawk Leader about the Spirit Dam repairs. Hoping to get timelines for when work will take place and hopefully be completed. Thought I would let everyone know to look for it.

Old Scout
    Participant

I noticed that there is a equipment trailer parked by the dam in the area that needs the repair. Perhaps something will happen soon.

KEN
    Participant

@mrbrowns wrote:

Will be talking with WVIC next week for an article for the Tomahawk Leader about the Spirit Dam repairs. Hoping to get timelines for when work will take place and hopefully be completed. Thought I would let everyone know to look for it.

Sounds good.

I think there`s a lot of interest in The Spirit Dam Project.

The water level has been down too low for too long.

PLUS, it`s not the only dam in the area. The problem with The Spirit Dam could happen somewhere down the road with other dams!

Old Scout
    Participant

Good news Ken,

I went by the dam today and there were people there working on it. Looks like the day has finally arrived that it will get fixed. πŸ˜€

KEN
    Participant

Does anyone know exactly what all is involved in the repairs?

It must be pretty complicated to do any kind of fix with water still coming through!

You`d think they`d have to empty the entire Spirit !

I bet they get the water level at a all time low before the work is completed!

Old Scout
    Participant

From the amount of equipment and supplies they are hauling in it must be a rather serious repair they are planning. Seems like I read that they plan on putting some kind of plate in on the water side. Perhaps MrBrowns can fill us in as I believe he is the one that wrote about it.

KEN
    Participant

@Old Scout wrote:

From the amount of equipment and supplies they are hauling in it must be a rather serious repair they are planning. Seems like I read that they plan on putting some kind of plate in on the water side. Perhaps MrBrowns can fill us in as I believe he is the one that wrote about it.

So , the plate is going to act as a “buffer” to prevent erosion? ❓

If so , why not put one on both ends of the dam. On each water side area? πŸ˜‰

And, maybe think of installing them at all dams in Tomahawk area? πŸ™„

I`m just thinking, whatever needs to be done, Now is the time to do it!

No point going through this 10 , 20 years down the road! πŸ™

mrbrowns

WVIC gearing up for Spirit Dam repair project this summer
    Area to be closed to public during dam work
    By Jed Buelow
    Tomahawk Leader Sports/Nature Editor
    sports@tomahawkleader.com
    Years after the Spirit Reservoir was drawn down three feet and then six feet to address structural safety concerns with the Spirit Dam, Wisconsin Valley Improvement Company is set to begin a major repair project that will get underway this spring.
    Starting in May, WVIC and Staab Construction out of Marshfield will begin getting ready to install a number of 60-foot long steel sheet pilings that will be positioned along the upriver portion of the earthen dike making up the dam. Organizers are hoping to begin installing the pilings in early May and complete the project, referred to as Phase 1, sometime later this fall. Once complete, the steel pilings will run the length of the earthen dam with the goal of addressing a boil that was first discovered back in 2012.
    Peter Hansen, WVIC V.P. of Operations, said repairs being made will hopefully address safety concerns that actually have lingered dating all the way back to 1941, when a portion of the earthen dike failed causing a major washout of the structure all the way down to the bedrock.
    β€œThe goal is to build a barrier to prevent water from moving through (the earthen portion) of the dam,” Hansen said. β€œWe are hoping to have Phase 1 done by Thanksgiving, after which we can raise the reservoir three more feet.”
    If the work can be completed on time and tests prove the new barrier is working as intended, the Spirit Reservoir could be held to just three feet below full heading into spring. Ever since 2013 the Spirit has been held to three feet below full due to safety concerns, and the past two winters was kept at least six feet below full after an additional concern regarding the dam was discovered.
    β€œMost of the work for this first phase will be done on the top end. We are hoping this will address safety concerns that have existed since the failure.” Hansen stated in noting that at all times the dam area will need to be closed to the public as work takes place.
    Along with completing Phase 1, WVIC is currently working with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to approve a Phase 2 plan that would address an erosion issue below the dam. If the plan is approved and work can take place next spring, the Spirit Reservoir could once again be raised to full once the second phase is complete.
    Hansen added he expects the area below the Spirit Dam will be temporarily closed to the public in the coming weeks when work to repair the dam begins.

Old Scout
    Participant

Lots of equipment around the parking lot and by the dam, but haven’t seen any work getting done. Looks like they are just using the place as a parking lot. Haven’t even seen any people around.

Old Scout
    Participant

I can see why they figure on having the dam done by Thanksgiving. They bring in a piece of equipment and disappear for the rest of the week. As of today they have a lot of equipment and trailers parked around the lot and on the dam but I haven’t seen anyone there doing anything that looks like they are actually starting any work.

KEN
    Participant

@Old Scout wrote:

I can see why they figure on having the dam done by Thanksgiving. They bring in a piece of equipment and disappear for the rest of the week. As of today they have a lot of equipment and trailers parked around the lot and on the dam but I haven’t seen anyone there doing anything that looks like they are actually starting any work.

Hmmmmm,…….. Must be a Government Job. 😯

If they`re not using the equipment, why don`t you and me take it down the road and clean up The Fulsher School area! πŸ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.